• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New parent to child with crohn's

I was happy and sad to find this group of people to chat with. Happy because I am getting so much good information and sad because there are a lot of people suffering for this disease.

My daughter is 14 yrs old and also has a rare neurological degenerative disease called NPC or Niemann Pick type C. She is wheelchair bound, nonverbal, and g-tube fed. Because of the npc, dr's weren't even considering the possibility of another disease. We went to appointment after appointment messing with the wrong symptoms and possible treatments. It wasn't until she got a horrible case of skin tags on her bottom that the Dr.'s discovered the Crohn's.

She is nonverbal so I have no idea how she feels and where it hurts. I just know she is uncomfortable. Her body language tells me she is in pain. Can you describe what skin tags feel like? I know by looking the are painful, but when not flared up and bright red and bleeding do they go into remission? Or do they always feel uncomfortable?

As for her belly pain. She had a negative reaction to Pentasa so we are on Prednazone. She is squirmy all the time and can not sit or lay down comfortably. I feel like it is a gas issue or she is having some sort of spasm. Is that common? Is that what it feels like? She has been in a recliner for 7 days now. Not to mention 5 in the hospital trying to control this pain or spasm. She has Tylenol with Codine for pain and went from Benytl to Hyoscyamine sulfate drops for the spasms.

Did I mention she had a horrific yeast infection that went treated as diaper rash for 3 weeks and while in the hospital the nurse gave her the placebo birth control pills so she had her period too!! She is a tough girl who is dealing with this remarkably well considering all she is going through. Her mom, however, is SPEECHLESS and looking for some people to talk too.

So sorry you had a need to seek out the forum but glad you found us!

My son is 15 and has only one skin tag but it does get inflamed when he is flaring and makes him uncomfortable but when he is not flaring he says he doesn't notice it.

Prednisone can give bad acid reflux which could be making her uncomfortable but it is also notorious for mood swings and restlessness. When my son was on it he actually said one day that he thinks he knows how it feels to be ADHD now, due to the prednisone. And of the side effects the restlessness/jitteriness was one of the worst for him. He said it made him feel uncomfortable in his own skin

He was also on levsin or hyocosamine as well but said it didn't help with any symptoms including pain that he was experiencing. I believe that was due to the fact the pain he was experiencing was from the active crohns inflammation as opposed to spasms.

We do have a parents forum, please browse through there. There are a lot of caring compassionate parents who understand the fears, vents and anxieties of a child with Crohns. Hugs and support!

Last edited:

DJW

Forum Monitor
I'm so sorry to hear your daughter is suffering. There is a great parents section on this forum. I'm sure some parents will be along soon. Sending you my support.

my little penguin

Staff member
Hugs
I agree with the other posters
DS has tried bentyl and hydrocyamine .
Bentyl does nothing and hydrocyamine only works once the crohn's inflammation is down.
Good luck

Thank you everyone! I had not thought about the prednisone causing restlessness. We have a follow up appointment on Tuesday. Hopefully we can make some adjustments and get her feeling better.

I am glad you found your way to this forum, lots of great advice and information.
I agree with what the other posters said about prednisone. It made my son uncomfortable and jittery. But it does heal up inflammation and he much preferred the uncomfortable feeling to the pain he had before he was diagnosed.
I can only say we were speechless, sad and scared when our son was first diagnosed too. Things don't get better overnight but they do get better and it sounds like you are well on your way.

((((hugs)))))

Oh yeah definitely I would agree the agitation is better than the pain, I didn't mean to imply otherwise. I just thought what you were seeing could be due to that "restless/jittery" side effect of Pred rather than pain or spasms and the severity of it can be rough enough to cause the squirminess and other actions she was exhibiting.

I hope the pred works quickly and luckily once she weans off the restlessness and other side effects go away.