• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New particiapant w/questions

I was diagnosed with Crohn's in 1968-1969. The 1st x-rays that were taken were misread leaving me in a dire condition with no explanation.
After many years & many different attempted remedies the Crohn's remains. Having had consultations with Dr. Chrohn in St. Louis & having been presented with the most likely course of action, that being surgery, I decided to wait & deal with this problem myself.
Unfortunately,along with the Crohn's Disease, I am also dealing with a collapsed back that causes intense muscle & nerve pain down my legs & in my back. Along with this I also suffer from a nerve problem from my neck into my left hand & arm.
Not needing any other medical issue to deal with I suffered a
Widow Maker Heart Attack in January 2013. The doctors could not believe I was alive when I entered the emergency room & took minimal actions as they did not believe I would live. I DID!
Now you can see that there is only so much time in our lives to deal with problems & I decided to cut out the Crohn's, as my other issues causes continual intense pain with my ability to live a productive life very limited & causing my wife to assume ALL the pressure to keep us financially afloat. As we have been Realtors for the last 30 years working together all that time which makes our current situation very difficult to be financially secure while giving our 21 year old son the education he deserves.
MY QUESTION is about Coconut Oil. A friend suggested I look into it as my Crohn's has come back with a vengeance causing me to have continual nausea as well as vomiting. I can't take this so after 20-30 years of ignoring my Crohn's I am now in touch with a Gastro. My understanding of Crohn's (from long ago) was that having a perforated intestine did not respond well to any oils.
IF THIS NOT TRUE? & will Coconut Oil be potential benefit to me?
I would appreciate any responses that are pertinent.
Thank you
Sandy

Scipio

Coconut oil may (or may not) have some benefit, but it is not a scientifically proven treatment for Crohn's. If your Crohn's has progressed to point of perforating your bowel (a fistula), you very likely need medicine much stronger than any coconuts can provide. That's a serious complication. I suggest you listen very carefully to your Gasto's advice and together plan the best path forward for you.

:ywow:Do not my listen to any of the so called cures out there many can cause actual harm and some cause harm by keeping people from following real proven medical treatment and their doctors advice. The one thing you can do for yourself is figure out if you have any Triger foods however you need to get your crohns in better control so if you eat something that makes it worse you can tell it's worse.

Not everyone is affected by diet. My triger is gluten my sister in law is milk everyone is different. Listen to your doctor and if you have doubts get a second opinion from a reputable doctor

Good luck and I Hope you achieve remission quickly.

Last edited: