• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New, seeking advice

Hi,

So I want to start by saying I haven't been diagnosed with anything. It is possible that I have mild crohns or mild UC.

I am looking for opinions on my situation; is it similar to anyone else's? Am I crazy for thinking I have crohns/uc or am I crazy for doing nothing about it?

It should be noted that my sister has Celiac Disease and I have a cousin with Crohn's. Also, I have next to zero stomach pain ever. I was constipated for years (1 or 2 bowel movement a week) but it didn't bother me/I wasn't in discomfort. I never missed a social gathering/work/school/anything because of stomach issues. My concern is related to the incidents that occurred below:

When I was in grade 11, I started getting mucus in my stools, it lasted for about 2 months. I had an appointment set up with a GI but by the time the appointment came, my symptoms were gone so I just cancelled it.

Then when I was 25 it came back. This time there was blood and mucus.It lasted for 2 months. Doctor first sent me for stool sample, came back negative. Then referred me to GI. Symptoms went away and I cancelled the appointment.

Then last year (27) came back again. I spoke to a friend who is a doctor and showed pictures. He told me to go to a GI. I told him I was scared to get diagnosed, if my symptoms are so mild that they don't affect me at all, only see it in the toilet, why do I want to limit myself before I have insurance etc (does that make any sense? Would it cause problems for me with insurance?). He told me to at least take probiotics if I am not going to go to a GI.

So I started taking probiotics, I also happened to start working out and eating a lot healthier, and I now have no symptoms. I have normal BMs every day.

Does this sound like anyone else? Did anyone else start this way and then get way worse? Should I look into this more?

Thank you.

Definitely look into it more. It is not normal to find blood in your stool. It could be something such as piles or anal fissures that are causing the blood, but you will need to have it ruled out. Not all tests come back positive, a lot of us go through lots of negative tests before we find the root cause. The more you ignore it, it could get worse. It seems yours keeps coming back, so you should get it checked out before things get out of hand.