• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New stricture diagnosis

I've lived with Crohn's for almost 25 years. I've been very fortunate in the sense that I have not yet required any surgery. However, at my last c-scope, my GI told me I had a stricture in the terminal ileum. Balloon dilatation will be tried at the end of October. Up until my scope, I had no symptoms and was feeling quite "normal". However, approximately a week after the scope I developed sudden (and I mean sudden), non-stop diarrhea for about two weeks. I've lost ten pounds being unable to keep anything in. As quickly as it came, it subsided for two weeks. Then, again, no warning, just diarrhea. This time much more serious as I noticed there was always blood in my stool. I could understand the blood as I was going no less than 25-30 times a day. As this continued, I developed a disabling lower back pain (almost spasms). My doctor ordered stool samples which showed possible salmonella poisoning. GREAT! This episode lasted four weeks and once again disappeared. Today, after being one week of almost constipated, the diarrhea is back with a vengeance and so is the wonderful back pain. I am getting very worried about this and have so many questions but my #1 question is ...can the stricture be causing the back pain. I know it sounds odd that I would ask that one question but right now (although the diarrhea is making my daily life a living hell) my back pain is really scaring me. Any input would be appreciated.

DJW

Forum Monitor
Sorry your dealing with strictures. They are awful.

I hope the dilation work. Sending you my support.