• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New Supplies

vonfunk

Bourbon Bandito
The hospital I had my surgery at has a contract with Coloplast.

When I left the hospital I was given a "welcome package" it consisted of a handful of ostomy supplies. There was some gauze, scissors, a few flanges some bags, and generic medical supplies (I then supplemented it with a few random things found in the hospital room).
In addition to that I was given a massive bag filled with gauze, saline, 10 more bags, 5 flanges.
A couple of days later an unexpected package from Coloplast arrived, containing more bags and flanges.

Then on Thursday, my ostomy nurse came, and she decided that she was going to order me a bunch more stuff. That package arrived today. It is filled with more bags, more gauze, etc. But most exciting is an 10 metre roll of tagaderm, and a belt.

So as of now I have gone through the "welcome package" I was sent. I now have sitting in my living room
10 Coloplast Sensura bags
10 Coloplast Assura bag
10 Hollister New Image bags

Plus the associated flanges, barrier rings, pastes etc.

At this point have yet to start harassing companies for samples.

I have a couple months of supplies, all free. I think I'm off to a good start.

I would say try the three different bags and see which has the best wear time and which feels the best to you. For me Coloplast doesn't work at all but for you they may be the best thing you ever use. Try them all out in a short time so you can order what you want and not have to worry about the others. That happened to me and I ended up running out of supplies because the stuff I was given did not fit me correctly. Good luck

vonfunk

Bourbon Bandito
Yeah, so far all I've been using has been the Coloplast that they sent originally. I'll try to Hollister ones next, most likely when he nurse is here.
She ordered the Hollister ones because she thought I should try a different brand.

I'd throw Convatec into the mix as well. They are easy to deal with and at least for me it's the only one that works. Have fun trying them all out and don't worry about trying new things.

LOSTnut

Poopy
Definitely ask ConvaTec for a "Welcome" Package. At least here in the States they send you a nice blue bag with a little mirror that stands up and they also send the belt for free. I like their bag better than the Hollister one. :D

Have fun and I wish for you that you find a system that you like and that will like you back! ;)

vonfunk

Bourbon Bandito
Apparently to get the "welcome" package from Convatec it needs to be done through the hospital. My hospital has a contract with Coloplast so I got theirs. But I've called Convetec and Hollister they are both sending me a few samples.

So far I like the flange on the Hollister ones that the nurse ordered but I find the drain on the Coloplast bags to be better.

LOSTnut

Poopy
Ahhh, ok that would make sense because "my" hospital used ConvaTec and I hated them passionately in the beginning.

I loved Coloplast but the wafer was too hard for me and just wouldn't stay on.

Are you using the moldable ones from Hollister?

vonfunk

Bourbon Bandito
possibly?
There was a ring of sticky stuff, similar to paste that I put on the flange.

They are sending me a flange that apparently no paste s needed, and the part that normally gets cut you rol back and the goes around the stoma like a turtle neck.
I'll report back in the review thread after I try it.

LOSTnut

Poopy
They are sending me a flange that apparently no paste s needed, and the part that normally gets cut you rol back and the goes around the stoma like a turtle neck.
I'll report back in the review thread after I try it.
That's the moldable one. Not sure if they have changed but Hollister is only making pre-cut wafers of those while ConvaTec has them in the "regular" sizes available which makes for a quicker shipment.

I just love the moldable ones, no more measuring and cutting and praying you hit the correct size = awesome! :p

Hope they will work for you as well, no matter which product!

vonfunk

Bourbon Bandito
Does anyone 4 medium sized Convatec closed bags that fit the 45mm wafers? No wafers/flanges.

They are the wrong size,and they sent nothing to actually attach them to my body.

Call them and request more. You can request samples more than one time. They want your feedback so when you are done trying out something, call the company and tell them what you liked, and what you didn't like about the products and they'll send you more of something else along with what you liked to try and win you over.
I did it with all of the companies, Hollister was the most generous (sent me 8 flanges and 15 bags!)and it worked in their favour because I ended up switching to them.
Convatec was the stingiest which was a real shame because I liked their flanges but they only sent me 2. I never called them back because I was happy with the Hollister combination that I found.

vonfunk

Bourbon Bandito
I noticed that too. Both packages arrived today.

Convatec gave me 2 flanges, 2 bags (well 6 if you include the ones that are the wrong size and no way to attach them)

Hollister Sent me sooo much. 2 types of flanges (8 or so total) 16 bag, 4 different ones.

I'm not a fan of the drainage on the Hollister ones, I love the flange.

By drain do you mean the roll and lock thing or the clamp type thingy? I'm scared to use a clamp, I'd screw that up for sure lol. The fold and lock is okay by me. Less room for error!
Coloplast was generous too, they sent me samples twice and the second time it was the mother load. 5 one pieces, 5 flanges and 5 bags plus some paste and some strips. I just hate the hard plastic/rubber type flange. It's like I have a 2 by 4 glued to my abdomen. It doesn't help that I'm the height of a hobbit.

vonfunk

Bourbon Bandito
I've not tried the clamp only the roll and lock ones.
My hospital forwarded my details to Coloplast and they sent a box of bags and flanges as well. I currently have enough supplies for a few months.

LOSTnut

Poopy
I currently have enough supplies for a few months.
Only if the product does what you want them to do, i.e. stay on your body for several days. If they don't work and you have to change more than once a day (which happened to me) your running out pretty darn quickly! :)

vonfunk

Bourbon Bandito
well the Hollister flange has now been on since Monday. I have close to 15 of those and 2 bags per flange. And roughly the same for Coloplast although I find they don't stick as well. But I have about a 3 month supply at my given rate of changing.

LOSTnut

Poopy
Cool! I am really very happy for you that you don't have any problems with leaks and constant changing. It is such a drag when it doesn't stay on your body.

Hey, time to add your review to the thread you started, no??? :)