• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New surgery worst than last

I had the proctocolectomy and ileostomy surgery Feb.7.I feel worse now than when I had cancer.For some reason the Surgeon decided my rear end needed a cave inside it,she started removing a lot of scar tissue and damage from radiation until there is not much left.I have been hospitalized 3 times since the original surgery and back in the or once.I am at my wits end with this ,it will not heal and is draining so much its a flood every time I get up.She says because of where it is and the cancer damage ,it will take a long ,painful time to heal.Even with meds.the pain is unbearable.

I am so sorry you are in so much pain. I think it is unacceptable what your surgeon is telling you. She needs to make it where you are not in agnoy, that is no way to live and you will Not be able to heal well being in all that pain. She needs to get your pain under control in order for you to heal. You dont want to get in that viscious pain cycle. Is there any way you can get a second opinion from a different surgeon? I know a lot of times surgeons dont want to take on another surgeons mistakes, but still maybe another doctor would be able to get your pain better under control. I am so sorry you are dealing with this. You are in my thoughts and prayers!!

I had the proctocolectomy and ileostomy surgery Feb.7.I feel worse now than when I had cancer.For some reason the Surgeon decided my rear end needed a cave inside it,she started removing a lot of scar tissue and damage from radiation until there is not much left.I have been hospitalized 3 times since the original surgery and back in the or once.I am at my wits end with this ,it will not heal and is draining so much its a flood every time I get up.She says because of where it is and the cancer damage ,it will take a long ,painful time to heal.Even with meds.the pain is unbearable.

Is your backside sewn up or still open? If it is sewn shut, it will takes months to heal. As for the pain, what meds are you take currently?

Terriernut

Debbie very sorry to hear this. You've been through so much already! I can only say, don't let them just say it will get better over time. It is ok to be a squeeky wheel in a case like this if you are suffering. Is the wound still open? If so, what packing is being done?

You aren't alone in a slow recovery with that op. Add crohn's making healing slower....

:ghug:

The wound is still open and very deep,I am on percocet 5 one or two every 4 to 6 hours,it does not help at all.They stopped packing it after the second surgery to put two drains in.I do not know whats wrong with me,I cannot eat,only ice chips,so I know that isn't helping.I am going to call the surgeon Monday.I can't live in this agony much longer.There has to be something that can be done,I hope.

annawato

Staff member
No you can't live with that much pain and you shouldn't have to. Getting moving is so important for recovery and if you are in lots of pain that is impossible.
Make sure you stress to your surgeon how much pain you are having and that you can't eat and how much is flooding out. Don't sugarcoat anything. As Terriernut said the squeaky wheel gets results.
Billions of hugs,

Terriernut

Debbie, I know you don't want to hear this, but you may need to go back to hospital. Not being able to eat or move around is not good at all. I just think it will ensure you will be seen and treated immediately and that IS what you need.

Being in agony like that isn't conductive to you healing at all. They need to do something right away for you.

:ghug: