• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New to all of this

U

ukstephie

Hello,

My partner of 6 years has had Crohn's for the past 20 years and I am constantly amazed and so proud of how she deals with it all, I am looking for anyone who may be in the same situation as her. She has gone through many surgeries over the years(resections etc...), the problem lies where the large and small intestine come together, that's where the narrowing is and that's where there is no control. After 2 near misses with surgery over the past 4 years, the last time being exactly a year ago I know next time she has a blockage for sure they'll conduct surgery. I'm constantly researching and asking everyone I can to see about different treatments, different ways to try and make her quality of life better. Last year a week long stay in the hospital for a blockage with no surgery took over 5 months to recover from, but now the fatigue is 24/7, the appetite is waining again, all I want to do is take her pain away.

So, anyone who can shed some light or comfort would be truelly appreciated.

K

Kate

Hey

Its so nice to see parnters want to help out their loved ones. I am really not much help on options as i havent been there yet myself but i do know that the surgery for many have really helped if not ideal

welcome to the site and all the best
Kate

mikeyarmo

Co-Founder
Stephie,

I was in a simular situation as your partner. My situation was getting worse and worse, and no treatments were working for me. I had a stay in the hospital, but surgery was delayed to try other treatments. I can honestly say that surgery was the only real option for me, and it has had tremendous results. I feel better than I have in several years, have more energy than ever and can eat food again painfree. Surgery does sound scary, but it is not something that should be ignored if it is necessary. Surgery can allow for your partner to regain a greater life, and it really can change what your partner is going through now.

U

ukstephie

Thanks for the responses, it sounds like I've finally found a great outlet for my own dealings with Crohn's from a somewhat outsider looking in. It can be very stressfull from this side of the fence, as for the surgery I only hope that she can bring herself to move forward with it, I think once she sees the support group we now both have it will help us both move forward.

mikeyarmo

Co-Founder
Please feel free to get your partner here as well! We will help you in any way we can, no matter if it is just listen to your worries to answer any questions you may have. No one should go through this alone or uniformed, and while it seems like you are taking care of the first part of this, we would be more than willing to fill in that second part :).

U

ukstephie

Thanks for the support, I'll definately get her to join in!, meantime I'll check back in tomorrow with everyone, please keep on writing everyone it's a huge help & comfort.

Signing off from Los Angeles.

welcome ukstephie, my sisters name is stephie too,

I too have a "narrowing" but in a different spot,

where the colon meets the rectum

and I have "knock on wood" avoided surgery up until this point for it, but so far, it hasn't been a problem other then this Fistula that they can't seem to fix that is around/thru my spincter muscle so they can't perform a resection on it otherwise it would leave me without BM control the rest of my life, so I just have to deal with it until the doctors finish banging their heads against the wall figuring out what to do for me.. So far, I've had 3 different surgeons look at me for 2nd opinions, and they have no clue what to do, but that is how it goes with crohns unfortunately.

I immagine it is a real struggle for your wife, I've been dealing with it for 9 years pretty much on my own, it really helps when your loved one is supportive, more then you realize :) a hug, an "I love you", really goes along way.. I would have given anything for a 'hug' or an "i love you" from both my ex wives....

E

ElaineH

Hi Stephie and welcome to the forum! You sound like a very caring partner.. I'm sure you will find all the help and support you need right here! :)

Elaine x

Karen

FRIEND 4 1 & ALL
ukstephie {Stephie}

I am a spouse of a CROHN'S PATIENT myself & he was diagnosed back in December 2005 and so it's been a rough going but we have gotten through a lot over these last few months & :( to say he will not come on the board & be a part of it so ... I find comfort in knowing that I am here & have met a lot ... I mean a lot of wonderful folks here so ... make yourself right at home & have some fun while enjoying the FRIENDSHIP !!

See you around ... how rude of me I am KAREN aka GRANDMA BEAR !!

J

Jonny

Hi, Welcome Stephie and Husband to the site. I'm sure you will find lots of useful information here and great people to help you thru any tough times.

V

Valentina

Hi! and welcome to the site. hope you find the support and friendships here that I have so far! Hope your partner is well, she sounds very lucky to have someone who goes out of there way to be informed and understanding. big thumbs up to you!

U

ukstephie

Hello to you all -

Thanks to everyone for your support and thoughts of kindness, just the boost I needed, I told my other half last night about the group and hopefully you'll all be hearing from her in the near future. For all of you out there who like me needed the wireless hugs and comfort, this is definately the place to be. I hope everyone has a great day and enjoyable weekend. Fyi out here in Los Angeles we will be having the 5k walk for the Crohn's & Colitis Foundation in August, I'll be participating with my partner so I'm inviting anyone else who can make it to please do so, this is the first time out here I have seen this kind of support, too many times the Crohn's Crowd gets overlooked!. Anyone who would like information about the day let me know.