• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New to Crohn's and Need Help. GI Says to Tough it Out

I am also fairly new to Crohns as well. Two Easters ago it originally started out as colitis. Then just the pass six weeks I've been getting really sick, losing weight, no appetite, blood in my stool the whole nine yards. I thought it was a regular flare up. I just recently got out of the hospital after being diagnosed. I spent a total of two weeks in there. I've been to the er 3 times and admitted 2 first time was a early discharge. I'm still in a great deal of pain and losing appetite and just feeling sick all the time. I hate the er but i don't no what else to do. I called my gi and he wants me to tough it out till I see him. And the steroids are driving me crazy!!! Help please

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Hi Denee K and welcome to the forum! :D

I'm sorry you're having such a hard time. When is your appointment with your GI? Last I went to the hospital the doctors there contacted my GI and he had a say in my treatment and also called me after I was discharged so we could go over the new treatment plan. If your GI is blowing you off I strongly suggest that you try to get a second opinion and see another GI if possible.

Generally when we question if we should go to the ER or not it usually means we should go. You know your body best so you shouldn't have to sit and wait and suffer when the ER could provide relief and answers. All test results can be sent to your GI.

Sorry for the late reply. You post was in another member's thread so hardly anyone saw it. How are you doing now? Did you go to the ER or are you still waiting to see your GI?

valleysangel92

Staff member
Hello :) welcome to the forum ..

Sorry your having such a rotten time.. I agree, you shouldnt have to sit and suffer, the GIs are there to help us not cast us off.. Unfortunatly some of them dont seem to comprehend how horrible it is to deal with all this..

If you havent been seen yet and your still feeling the same id say either try and get a second opinion from a new, more understanding GI, or go to the ER. They should take you a lot more seriously and can make things a lot more comfortable for you. I know they arent nice places but it has to beat being left to deal with this on your own! Good luck *hugs*.

I'm not sure you need a new GI personally, your circumstances ,ay vary greatly from others. I do know most GI's are hesitant to prescribed pain meds. I really had to push mine and it wound up being a trip to the ER (directly from my PCP) that finally got him to do so. Depending on how far out your appointment is may influence their stance.

Only you can judge how bad your pain is. I've reached the point in my disease where I now if I can manage it or not. For me staying ahead of the 'pain curve' means it is manageable. if I get past where I can manage it, I'm not shy about heading t the ER so they can manage it for me. Don't be afraid to make that decision.

Good luck and feel better!