• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New to Crohns and new to the forum

Hello All, Here is my story. I have been having "problems" for a few years, but never had the pain that I have heard some have with Crohns. Long story short, I went on vacation and two days later I went to the hospital in pain and found out I have a obstruction. This was a big surprise to me because I never have that problem its always the opposite of that. Ended up with a perforation and had to have emergency surgery. The section they removed was tested and came back as crohns. Years ago my Uncle had surgery and had some of his intestine removed and is on NO meds. I'm not trying to be stupid but I can't have a colonoscopy for 6 months and they want to start me on 6mp. Which seems to be a scary drug (side effects). And how can you put me on a life long drug and not know what is happening with my body. Will I have more problem??? I would like to treat this medication free but I don't know if that is possible or not. They sent me home from the hospital on pentasa and prednisone. I'm, slowly getting off the prednisone but and still on the pentasa. All is good so far but I just had all the bad parts removed. Lettuce seems to be a bad food for me but I seem to be able to eat anything else. I was wondering if anyone else had surgery and was able to get off meds and be "healed".
Also would love info on supplements people find helpful. Thanks in advance!

I just want to welcome you to the forum and send support. No experience with surgeries or 6mp. You may want to post your question at the surgery forum.

David

Co-Founder
Hi there and welcome to the community.

Surgery can lead to remission but it does not CURE you. Some people choose to go off medications after surgery while some choose to be on a maintenance medication (common ones in this scenario are 6mp like is being proposed to you and azathioprine/Imuran). What is the correct decision? It's a tough one and something each person has to figure out in conjunction with their doctor.

If it was me, it would probably depend largely on my disease state prior to surgery. I do know that whether I chose to use medication or not, I would definitely work to employ alternative treatments such as medical marijuana and maybe low dose naltrexone, dietary changes such as paleo or specific carbohydrate diet, and lots of lifestyle changes.

I would also suggest talking with people in our 6mp support forum located here.

All my best to you.