• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New to Crohns - Any tips?

Hey im new to crohns, i was diagnosed April of last year when i was 17.
I had a severe case and did not respond well to the medications i was put on. I am now taking fortnightly Humira injections, mercaptopurine and pred.
Basicallllyyy im struggling a bit with the whole idea of having a disease so young. Its consuming my whole lifestyle.
It feels like im obsessed and i cant think about anything else.
I was just wondering if you guys could offer any tips on ways to deal with the disease emotionally and good ways to deal with the day to day side effects of crohns.
I will be eternally grateful for any helpppp that can be offered :p
Thankyouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu :)

CrohnsChicago

Super Moderator
Im sorry you received a diagnosis and at a young age :(

Well for starters the fact that you are doing treatment is a good first step in getting yourself in a healthier state of being.

My biggest recommendation would be not to let the disease control your life. You can still have goals and ambitions. And while some may need to be adjusted a little, others do not. It is very possible to live a long and active life with crohn's disease, especially once you manage to get it all under control.

I think some important routine actions you can make is to focus on diet, exercise and lowering your stress levels. Find hobbies to occupy your time when you are well, as well as hobbies you can shift to when you can't do much but lie on the sofa from the disease (book reading, crocheting, computer design or some form of art/craft). There will be days where you may have to isolate yourself, but on your good days try to get out and be social even if for a little bit.

Keep your chin up. I don't think there's a day that goes by that I dont think about my crohn's (or have a fear i will flare again). I just allow myself to have that moment, then I realize that I have to let it go and just try to keep moving forward with my day. At the end of the day I always try to remind myself of the good and any small accomplishment I may have had, even if it was me being able to get up and get out of bed for the day.

I hope you start to feel better and if you have any questions, concerns or just feel like venting you can always count on folks here to listen. :hug:

I can relate to your situation. I was 21 when I was diagnosed. Being a young woman it does take a toll on you emotionally and physically. The best advice I can give you is to build a good support system. You are going to need emotional support more than anything. I know that it is hard to stay positive. Crohn's is a tricky disease and sometimes it's hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel. I have been battling this for almost 6 years and recently had surgery so I'm having a hard time mentally right now as well. Keep your head up and if you ever need anyone to talk to just contact me.

SarahBear

Hi, and welcome to the forum!

I'm sorry you're having a difficult time. :( How long were you showing symptoms before you were diagnosed? Do the medications you're taking now seem to be helping?

I think Chicago's advice pretty much covers it. Shifting some of the focus away from the Crohn's itself and onto living a healthier lifestyle might help. Have you considered trying a diet? Several forum members have had great success with the SCD diet. Taking up some hobbies that aren't physically taxing can help pass the time when you're feeling unwell. I personally enjoy reading and spending time here on the forum offering support and advice to others.

Are you currently going to school or working, or does the Crohn's interfere with that? Are you still in high school?