• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New to Crohns Disease

Hi guys I'm new here and new to my disease. I'm 16 and was diagnosed officially with Crohn's disease in my small intestine two days ago. I have to get a capsule endoscopy (pill cam) in two days to determine what would be the right meds for me. I'm in a lot of pain, constantly having diarrhea,I'm always exhausted, my knees and fingers ache and sometimes I become very constipated. I geuss I was just wondering if any one had any advice on Crohns, thanks!

Last edited:

Catherine

Welcome to the forum, sorry you had to find us.

Can you tell us what country your in? As treatment varies quite a lot between different countries.

Ya I'm from the u.s I live in upstate ny. I'm sorry about your daughter I also have asthma(since a baby) but I've for the most part grown out of it. Thanks again for the reply

welcome Mikey I've just ben diagnosed recently too. It's a bit of a shock at the begnning hearing the word "incurable" but I've only been learning about it a month now and I'm totally comfortable with it. The drugs for managing it are a lot better then where they were a few years ago and lots of sufferers live long and healthy lives. There's even some famous and successful people have lived high-profile successful careers (Anastasia, Shannon Doherty etc) so chin up.

Welcome to the club!

Catherine

My daughter is now 19 year old. She had completed her first year of university and is planning her first big overseas trip.

The months leading up Dx and first months just after dx were the worse. Once you find a treatment plan that works things will return to normal.

Hello. Hang in there man. Ive just joined this site and i've had crohns whatever that is for 7 years now i got it when i was 23. I just read a thread http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=6478 this guy (this isn't rec
commended and maybe you could temper it a bit) but he just drank loads of aloe vera juice. Loads of it like a litre a day. It worked for him but the most important thing to remember is everyone's different. I personally believe the biggest factor is stress it hits allot of young people around exam time. They drink more caffine maybe or they're guts not relaxed. I say listen to your body listen to your gut and do whatever makes you feel better. Ive heard to many recovery stories to just accept its permanent although i think youll always potentially develop symptoms or be more seceptible to whatever it is. Stay off caffiene, make sure u can relax. chew your food and be relaxed when your eating. if anyone's giving you jip tell them where to shove it or ignore them. If youve got Crohn's thats problems enough

Thank you so much everyone! It feels good to know some people that either have crohns or know about (I've only met a few people that live close to me that know of the disease) but I'll definitely take the advice of being careful about my stress because I'm pretty sure that's a big factor for me, seems like when I'm upset in any way i get a flare up. Thanks again I really appreciate this site is pretty cool.

I'm a pretty grudgeful, brooding kind of lady. When there's someone particularly poisonous in my life, I think about it at night time before bed, playing through the conversations I wish I'd had. I've trained myself to stop holding onto grudges, but on the rare occassion when I stil hold onto an issue and think it through too often, I find myself in a flare up pretty quickly. As a teen, I'm sure you find yourself in stressful social and education situations all the time! Definitely arm yourself with all the stress coping skills you can, whether it be a fresh attitude, yoga, excercise, whatever works for you, because stress is now your worst enemy.
My big tip is to explain discretely to your future bosses about your condition and it's affect on your body in a positive way that shows you take ownership but expect understanding. My boss knows I may have days where I have longer bathroom needs than usual, but he also knows I will make sure I work the hours I need to get the job on that kind of day. I don't let my condition affect the quality of my work and I expect my employer to give me the job flexibility to cater to my condition as a result.

Welcome! So sorry you had to join us. Make sure you advocate for yourself in front of the doctor and that you're both on the same page! That way it will be easy for you to adjust to a treatment plan.
--Mother of a Crohn's kid 😊