• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New to crohns/pentasa

Hi there everyone! got diagnosed with crohns just b4 Xmas. Have been put on Pentasa tablets 500mg got to take 8 a day. Since taking them keep getting really bad headaches and fill short tempered and on edge fills like anxiety but not sure does any else feel like this? I'm wondering if it's the medication. Also has anyone got advice on what to eat and drink and what not to eat and drink and any other advice that might be helpful I would be very grateful to hear it. Must say I'm so glade there's websites like this around makes u feel your not alone with this. Hope you all had a great Xmas + New year and not suffering to much! Thanks for reading.

Hi warrenh, I am on 4g pentasa as well. I got headaches when I first went on it, but it settled down after maybe 2 months or so. Take paracetomol if you need it for headaches rather than ibuprofen. Are you on prednisone as well? That definitely made me feel short-tempered and anxious, but if not this could also be related to the diagnosis, its a big thing to take in. Have a chat to your doctor if you need some extra support during this time.

As for eating, unfortunately that seems to be different for everybody, as what some people can handle others can't. There is the low residue diet that is recommended during flares to give your guts a bit of a rest while you start to heal.
I am not flaring now so currently I am following the low FODMAPS diet and this has been working quite well for me, maybe worth a shot once you are better? I am slowly reintroducing foods to see what I can tolerate. There are stacks of diets out there, but I also think experimenting slowly with food is really the way to go, as I am not really a fan of cutting out foods for the sake of it unless they are actually a problem for me personally.

Keep posting, hopefully someone a bit more experienced than me can come in and give you some support as well.

Hi Warren,
Im not a doctor or pharmacist but was on pentasa myself. I was taking 15 capsules a day for quite a while. I had no side effects from it at all. That being said, pentasa is a "topical" anti-inflamatory. Meaning, it only affects where it makes contact in your gut. It' not systemic meaning, absorbed and works throughout your body. Sammy had issues with it to, so im not saying it doesnt contribute to headaches. Best of luck to you. I would certainly let your Doc know! Hang in there.

Hi Warren,
Like you I was also diagnosed before christmas.
I'm on Pentasa also and I do suffer headaches.
I'm also on Omeprazole, Buscopan and iron supplement. Don't feel anxious or angry though.
Are you on prednisone?

Warren,
I got out of the hospital 3 wks ago and am on Prednisone and 4000 mg pentasa daily. 2 500mg capsules four times a day. So far just headaches and very tired. According to my GP this one has very few side effects and may work better for Crohn's than others. On my other drug, Asacol, I was anxious, obnoxious and manic at times so I took some classes in meditation and that has helped tremendously. There are some good books also.
As to diet, I am on a smooth diet, lots of soups, mashed potatoes and juicing. I had my first broiled piece of fish yesterday and OK so far.
Best,
Whit

Thanks for all your replies no not on any other meds maybe it's just stress from feeling I'll all the time. Thanks again

Hi Warren: I'm on Pentasa plus a bunch of other drugs. I didn't have headaches or any other issues with the Pentasa. As far as diet goes different for everyone. I'm also diabetic so makes it even harder as some medical professions say to go on a low residual diet which for me raised my blood sugar levels meaning more insulin. Basically just read Nd get educated. Go for more bland foods that are cooked. I find that sometimes when I'm not feeling well I do get angry and depressed. I've talked with a dear friend who is a psychologist and he says this is normal for someone that has a chronic illness. When I get this way I go on this forum and read stories about others. I'm to alone Nd don't need to feel sorry for myself. A good kick in the butt is good.

Hi Warren, sorry you are going through this! I don't know a whole lot, but wanted to let you know that I am also taking the same dose of Pentasa and get headaches since being on it too. My family doctor said it's a side effect and for me to take Tylenol for the headaches. He also said really important to stay hydrated as well to help with the headaches. Always best to check with your own doctor or pharmacist as well when getting side effects and see what they suggest. It's no fun, but I learned over Christmas that I feel better on the Pentasa then I do off them, so decided I will put up with the headaches for now. Hope you feel better soon!

i,ve been on pentasa for a long time with no issues i,ve noticed plus loads of other medication.i,ve always been crabbit!not.if your under the weather patience/tolerance can wear thin.good luck

Hi warren, you've had a lot to take in, I have to admit I get low days also. But I do find the support I need on this forum. If you need to offload or vent just go for it... Trust me we all understand. :)