• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New to Crohn's

I am a 39 y/o female and was just diagnosed with Crohn's. I have had digestive problems for about 7 years, but after going to many many doctors, they just got to the root of the problem which is that I have Crohn's. They have me on Pentasa 1000mg 4X a day. Before I was diagnosed through a colonoscopy, I only rarely felt nauseous and really didn't have any other problems other than occasional constipation or diarrhea and some light bleeding during bowel movements. I have had surgery for a fistula and hemorrhoid surgery. I am tired a lot with no energy and just thought maybe I had gotten lazy. Now my concern is that since I have been diagnosed, 3 weeks ago, and started taking the medication. I am nauseous every day towards the evening, ulcers in my mouth and I have these sore knots on my lower legs. Does anyone else have that problem? I asked my doctor and she said that was because of the Crohn's and has nothing to do with the medicine. I just find it hard to believe considering I have never had an ulcer in my mouth and knots on my legs. I am just reaching out to anyone who has the same issues as me. Thank you.

nogutsnoglory

If you think it may be the Pentasa its worth seeing if you can stop it for a while and resume later. If the issues go away it's probably a side effect.

Crohn's can cause nausea, and mouth ulcers but the leg knots are atypical. Joint pain however is not uncommon. Hope you get to the bottom of it.

Welcome to the forum!

I used to get those mouth sores all the time. I switched to an SLS (sodium laurel sulfate) free toothpaste and haven't had any since. I highly recommend doing so. All the SLS does for the toothpaste is makes it foamy...it doesn't do anything towards cleaning your teeth. You can find Closys brand toothpaste and maybe an off brand at some pharmacy stores. I get mine at Walgreens. I think Tom's also makes a SLS free one, but I think it is also fluoride free, which my dentist did not recommend. You can also ask your dentist for an extra soft bristled toothbrush to help get over the ouchies.
Good luck!