• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New to forum but not new to Crohns

Just found this resourceful forum... Hello! I was diagnosed with Crohns at age 42 after a mild attack. The first symptoms appeared soon after I recovered from a bad flu. There are suspicions of a connection between the flu and Crohns. My doctor back then recommended daily calcium pills. That kept it in remission for six years.

In summer 2011 I had a major attack which landed me in the hospital twice. It would no longer respond to medicine. The damage required surgery to remove the diseased parts of my intestines. By coincidence, my gall bladder was also acting up so I asked the surgeon to remove that while he had me open. Double whammy.

Hospital stay post surgery was supposed to be five days, it was stretched to twelve due to complications from pain and from a blockage (not unusual after your abdomen is opened during surgery). I have had a blockage for two years prior but did not know what it was. My symptoms of blockage was periodic bouts of nausea and abdominal pain for 3-4 hours, ending in vomiting. It always followed a meal. I thought it was food poisoning, but I had one of those bouts while recovering in the hospital and the cat scan confirmed the blockage. They clear the blockage by pumping your stomach, and for three days I had to wear a tube down my throat to drain stomach bile and an IV providing intravenous nutrients (I never got thirsty or hungry at all). Very unpleasant but I was glad to be rid of the blockage.

I was on FMLA disability for eight weeks, and it took me a year to get my former physical strength back. I've been problem free since then.

My surgeon recommended daily probiotics in the form of yogurt. When I asked about greek yogurt he said that was an excellent choice. One of the theories I read in a book (written by a doctor) is that natural drinking water contained bacteria that is beneficial to the intestines, then during urbanization of the twentieth century the water filtering systems removed those beneficial bacteria which would explain the rise in incidences of Crohns following implementation of public water systems. It has been 18 months on greek yogurt, so far so good.

The only thing I have altered in my diet since the 2011 attack is hot spicy foods. Before that attack I had started eating spicier foods made from peppers such as habernero, picante, etc. My pepper consumption is now in moderation and I have cut out the spicy peppers entirely. Mexican and cajun foods seem trouble-free, and I don't eat anything spicier than tabasco sauce. The real hot peppers seem to aggravate my digestive system.

I also have been replacing coffee with tea. I don't attribute that to Crohns, I have had problems with coffee years before Crohns. But now with parts of my digestive system removed, I do have to be careful with coffee away from my house. If I make a weak pot at home then I am OK. I have occasional business travel and I don't dare drink coffee while traveling. I switched to tea because it is a lot cheaper and it packs very easy for travel! Cappuccino doesn't seem to bother me.

Anyway that's my story so far. I know I am luckier than most as far as chronic pain, but that surgery was the worst. And probably won't be the last. So anything I can do to keep the thing in remission as long as possible is good with me!

David

Co-Founder
Greetings and welcome to the community :) Thanks for joining and sharing your story. I'm pleased to hear that you're doing pretty well!

What specific part of your intestines was removed, do you know? And what length?

Are you on any medications or supplements besides the yogurt?

Are you under the supervision of a gastroenterologist?

All my best to you.

My ileum was removed as well as another section that had a fistula so I had two sectionals performed in one surgery. I'm not sure what length was removed, but it wasn't a great amount. I'm on Pentasa medication and I see my gastroenterologist once a year.