• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New to forum, Digestive issues my whole life

Hi,
I was diagnosed with Crohn's in 2005, but have had digestive issues as long as I can remember, I'm 61.
January of 2014 I was in the ICU for diverticulitis, then back in the hospital October 2014 with a partial blockage. I have been on many meds over the years for the Crohn's but nothing right now. On March 23, I swallowed the pill cam, which is still with me. Heard from my Gastro Dr today who said the pill cam's images of 8 hours never got past my small bowel. We know there is a stricture, but the Dr felt the pill cam could make it through. He is now talking to the surgeon for resection and removal of the pill cam. I have not had any surgeries for my Crohn's, but did have my gall bladder removed in 1979. I feel so uneducated about everything. I understand the pill cam needs to be removed, and if a stricture has been the culprit for my years of pain, then will I finally feel normal after the stricture is removed or will it make things worse?

I've never had strictures, so can't help you there, but wanted to welcome you to the forum. Someone will be along to answer your questions.
:ghug:

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Hi Klivingston and welcome to the forum! :)

Once the stricture is removed it's very possible that you'll feel a lot better however Crohn's is a chronic illness with no known cure and without proper treatment after surgery you may find yourself in this situation again. What medications have you taken before and why did you stop taking them?

Hope you can get relief soon! Keep us posted.

I had really good luck with Ilardia? Kept me pretty quiet for a few years. Prednisone when in a flare. Did not work after the blockage last October, pain kept coming back. New insurance refused to pay for Ilardia so tried a Sulfur drug which made things worse and another that did not help at all. Asacol when first diagnosed which didn't help either. Coprocessor worked great also while in a flare. I have been too scared to try Remacaid? Have need taking a pro biotic, B12, and Pantoprazole all along. Finding what new insurance will pay for and what will work for me has been a challenge.

OMG, I just got home from seeing the surgeon up at Dartmouth Hitchcock. I am scheduled for a ileocolic resection on April 20th. I did a Google search and am so confused. I read quite a bit that the surgery was awful post op. The surgeon told me today that once I'm healed I will probably feel better than I have for years. He was surprised my local Gastro drs hadn't referred me for surgery sooner. The surgeon said he has had 2 surgeries himself, but he sure is a lot younger than me. My local Gastro dr and surgeon did not seem too concerned about the stuck pill cam. Consult with surgeon wasn't scheduled till this Friday whereas my PCP called Dartmouth Hitchcock yesterday & I just spent the whole day there. Need to go back up tomorrow to finish pre op stuff. This is sounding like a horrible ordeal. Maybe I should just curl up and never leave my bed. Who needs to eat solid food anyway.......

Hi Klivingston. I too have just had a Pill Cam (11 days ago), but it didn't make it past my stomach, and are scheduled for May 26th to have one placed further down in my small bowel during an endoscopy. Not sure where the current one is, and hope it manages to make its own out :0) I am due for an MRI soon, for seizures, and need it to be out before that happens!

I had a Patency Capsule before the Pill Cam, to make sure it could get past my strictures from previous surgery. I am surprised they didn't do this with you too?

It can be hard to cope with impending surgery, and it always frightens me. Hopefully they can do laparoscopic surgery, as recovery is a lot quicker and easier.

One place of support and encouragement for me, and hopefully for you, will be the people on this forum, of which I too am only new.

Stay strong :0)