• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New to forum & I have need advice.

I was diagnosed with crohns in 2001 and I have a stricture that I have had for a few years. A recent colonoscopy shows a new stricture and my doctor is suggesting Remicade. This medicine scare me. The risk seem extreme. Are my concerns valid?

Contonya

David

Co-Founder
Hi Contoya and welcome to the community. Do they know if the stricture is due to inflammation or scar tissue? If it is scar tissue, then often surgery is the best answer depending on how bad it is. If it's inflammation, then Remicade is a good medication. Yes, it's powerful, and yes the potential side effects can be scary, but improperly managed Crohn's disease is much scarier in my opinion. If you'd like to connect with people in the same situation with you, be sure to check out our Remicade forum here.

All my best to you.

Hi Contonya, I'd just like to welcome you and second what David has said! Unmanaged Crohns can be a really scary situation to find yourself in. I was left to get sick by my last GI and it was the worst experience of my life I'd never been so scared!

Unfortunately no medication is without it's side effects. However on drugs such as remicase, Humira and azathioprine.....sorry if I've missed out any others. Your GI should be keeping a close eye on your health and running regular bloods to make sure you take to the meds with out any trouble. We have a remicade section on the forum you may find some advice there from people in a similar position.

http://www.crohnsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=58