• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New to forum. Looking forward to getting to know you all.

Hi, my name is Judy. In August it will be 31 years that I have had collagenous colitis, although it wasnt diagnosed as such until 5 years ago after a colonosopy and biopsy. I've refused any pharmaceuticals because of potential side effects. Needless to say my life has revolved around this disease. Until this past year I basicly lived as a recluse, afraid and embarrassed to go out in public. This past year I decided I could do things if I just didn't eat...for example my grandson graduated from high school today. I had a light lunch yesterday and didn't eat again until I got back home. I recently had 12 days of being normal. The first time in 30 years. On the 13th day my luck ran out. A few days ago I rushed to the bathroom and had a lot of blood. Bright red. They are testing that now. Anyone else ever have bleeding? Thanks for any advice.

Hi Judy.
Welcome to the forum. I was diagnosed last December and to answer your question regarding bleeding. Yes I bleed quite a lot so take care you don't become anaemic. you may need iron supplements.
Bleeding for me quite often is darker (because it's higher up) it depends on where the bleed is really, sometimes it can be bright red also.
I think you are very brave to refuse medication, I went untreated for quite some time and felt my whole life revolved around the toilet.
Once diagnosed I've been prescribed pentasa which really helps with inflammation and omeprazole as I also have ulceration in my tummy (compliments of crohns) I was also put on steroids for 2 months which really helped kick start the healing process.
Fair enough the side effects of steroids weren't pleasant but the good outweighed the bad.
Now I'm doing good. not planning my life around toilet breaks (as long as I watch my diet and avoid trigger foods)
Please feel free to contact anytime.

Steph

Hi Steph, thank you so much for your reply. I am so happy for you that you are able to live a more normal existence. At the moment I am taking curamed. Just started so the jury is still out as to if this will help. I also just started drinking slippery elm tea. Both of these natural and both supposed to be good for any/all inflammatory conditions. I do know that after one week the joints in my fingers are no longer swollen and painful thanks to curamed. Slippery elm is great for soothing the entire digestive tract.We will see. I am going to give this a try for awhile. Will let you know.

Hi Steph, thank you so much for your reply. I am so happy for you that you are able to live a more normal existence. At the moment I am taking curamed. Just started so the jury is still out as to if this will help. I also just started drinking slippery elm tea. Both of these natural and both supposed to be good for any/all inflammatory conditions. I do know that after one week the joints in my fingers are no longer swollen and painful thanks to curamed. Slippery elm is great for soothing the entire digestive tract.We will see. I am going to give this a try for awhile. Will let you know.
Wow please do, I'm very interested in hearing about that. I just googled curamed and it even specifies crohns.

Regarding swelling in your finger joints, I've been suffering with my back and ribs. I changed my mattress which seems to be dong the trick. (Although my partner would not agree) :)
You will get a lot of advice and information on this forum and gain genuine friendships and understanding.
Also I'm sure you will get a lot of interest over this curamed.
As you are taking the natural approach, guess we will all benefit from your experience. :ghug: