• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New To Forum- My Story

Hey there. My name is Matt, I'm 22 years old and was diagnosed with Crohn's since I was 13.

When I was little, I was rather skinny and always had gotten severe rashes and what looked like blisters in the hindquarters. My parents just thought it was normal rashes, and with some ointment and sitz bathes it helped ease the pain, and reduced the bothered area. It wasn't long until I was diagnosed with Asthma, and was put on many steroids to help my breathing. From about 8 years old to 13 years old I had very little stomach problems, and gained weight.

During 7th grade, I was taken off my asthma medicine, for I stopped showing signs of it. After I was taken off the medicine, by the summer of 2004 I lost about 30lbs in the month of august. The beginning of 8th grade was rough for me. I threw up every morning, had extreme pains in my stomach. I could not eat anything and when I tried, I began to feel sick with nausea. It began to take a tole on my attendance, and we finally decided to take action.

I was sent to the hospital in either September or October of 2004 (i forget really). At first, the doctors had no idea what was the matter with me. My Lymph Nodes in my chest were swollen, and they feared I had cancer. I was X-rayed, CAT Scanned, MRI'd, and nothing showed any sign of cancerous activity. My soon-to-be GI decided to run an endoscopy and colonoscopy on me.

I remember not being able to eat in the hospital, and the morning of my colonoscopy, the nurse came in with Corn Flakes and a banana. I took one spoon full, swallowed it, and then the nurses came rushing back in saying "No, NO don't eat anymore! You are going for the colonoscopy now!"

I went under and had the endoscopy and colonoscopy done. It was confirmed: I had severe crohn's disease both upper and lower. I had about 16 ulcers riddled through my stomach and intestines, and my doctor even snapped a photo of one of the ulcers: It had a Corn Flake stuck in it haha.

Basically, I was put on a medicine called Pentasa, and the rest of 8th and 9th grade seemed to go smoothly. By 10th grade i bottomed out again. I began to severely lose weight, and massive pain in my stomach, multiple canker sores in my mouth, and I was taken out of school for home instruction. The Doctor added Entocort to my pill cocktail, but it didn't agree with my body. I would throw it all up after taking the pills.

Things were not looking good for me at all, and my GI decided to put me on prednisone (60mg a day) and 6MP. I had to get daily blood work done, and I gained so much weight over the years I was on the medicine.

The school district I was in at the time were very unhelpful, and did not comply with state laws regarding medical disadvantaged students, so I had to change school districts in my 11th grade year otherwise I would have been held back.

By my senior year in High school I was sick of the medicine, and the weight. My GI took me off of prednisone, and after I graduated and became 18 I decided to stop taking the Pentasa and 6MP. I have been feeling fine since 2008-2009 and have been in remission.

However, I have been lately noticing symptoms returning, and I will be contacting my DR this week to get the number of an adult GI. I need to see whats going on inside, but I am very weary of taking medication again with all the negative side effects it has on the body.

Wellp, that's my story! I'm glad I found this forum so I can help share the pain so-to-speak. It is comforting knowing I'm not alone out there, and I will be looking in the treatment section for sure to see what others are doing! We all gotta stick it out together and help each other through information! Okay, my rambling and lame speech is over haha :lol:

Last edited:
Thanks! I am, and I'm still young and have a long way to go yet; but I'm at the age where I'm gaining much more independence (across the board) and I really have to start thinking about my health, family, friends, and passions a bit more seriously. The "real world" can catch up to ya and surprise ya.

Hi Shenmeu & welcome to the forum. My daughter is 20 and was diagnosed at 15. Like you, she took meds for years but took herself off even though her GI wants her to take Humira. She has found taking vitamin D3 & folic acid supplements help her the most. Check out the Vitamin D Council website or fb page for more info.

Wishing you the best!

Hi Shenmeu & welcome to the forum. My daughter is 20 and was diagnosed at 15. Like you, she took meds for years but took herself off even though her GI wants her to take Humira. She has found taking vitamin D3 & folic acid supplements help her the most. Check out the Vitamin D Council website or fb page for more info.

Wishing you the best!

Thanks! I think i'm seeing my doctor tomorrow. I need to call and tell him i'm experiencing some pain again. It's getting worse as the days go on (and the stress of not knowing f anything is wrong doesn't help xD)

I'm really trying to exhaust all my natural options before i go back on any sort of pharma medication. Thanks for the advice and I wish your daughter luck!

Thanks! I think i'm seeing my doctor tomorrow. I need to call and tell him i'm experiencing some pain again. It's getting worse as the days go on (and the stress of not knowing f anything is wrong doesn't help xD)

I'm really trying to exhaust all my natural options before i go back on any sort of pharma medication. Thanks for the advice and I wish your daughter luck!
Good luck tomorrow. Please keep us posted on your progress!

Good luck tomorrow. Please keep us posted on your progress!

Met with my new Doctor today. Very nice doctor and open minded to any form of treatment natural and medication wise. He thinks my diet is out of whack for crohns and that is causing some irritation.

I scheduled an endoscopy and colonoscopy for Friday to see if there is any inflamation. Fingers are crossed.

Met with my new Doctor today. Very nice doctor and open minded to any form of treatment natural and medication wise. He thinks my diet is out of whack for crohns and that is causing some irritation.

I scheduled an endoscopy and colonoscopy for Friday to see if there is any inflamation. Fingers are crossed.
Sounds like you found a good doc. Having two scopes done is the best way to try & determine what is going on & the prep for the colonoscopy is always so much fun, so that's a bonus! :D

:goodluck:Let us know the results.

Update: I went for my Colonoscopy and Endoscopy today.

Looks like I caught it just in time before it got any worse. These are the impression from the colonoscopy:

-Internal Hemorrhoids
-Terminal Ileitis
-Ileitis of the terminal the terminal Ileum
-Regional Enteritis, small intestine
-Proctitis
-Crohn's Colitis

These are the impressions from the Endoscopy:

-Esophagitis, unspecified
-Hiatus hernia, small
-Acute gastritis, without hemorrhage
-mild duodenitis

He said he has seen much worse, and said my diet is already pretty good. We both decided to start me back on Pentasa again. He also said my blood work indicated anemia.

I'll be on 500mg.

They took some biopsies as well and I'm going back in two weeks to see the pathology report. Looks like I caught it just in time before it went full blown into my upper GI tract.

Hi Shenmue:

With all of that going on, it's no wonder you were having so many issues! It's a very good thing you had the tests. Besides the Pentasa, did he prescribe iron supplements to help with the anemia? Did you have quick results with Pentasa the first time you took that medication? I hope it gives you some quick relief.

He didn't give me any specific supplement but said I could take a multivitamin. The pentasa works well for me, and I would prefer not being on a strong steroid like 6mp, so I decided to go with the pentasa.

Yeah, when I have flare ups it gets really bad because I have it in the whole gi tract. Luckily the upper stuff isn't inflamed. I hope it all works out. I'm blessed enough so far to be in remission state.

Last edited:
Yes, you are blessed to be in remission. Let's hope & pray your new treatment plan extends your remission for a good, long time!