• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New to forum PLEASE Help!

I am new to this forum and I am finally at my wits end. I am 36 years old and have been dealing with abdominal pain and gi problems since I was approximately 15 years old. During my childhood I had countless appointments with my GP who thought my abdominal issues were brought on by stress and I was never referred to anyone as a child and just learned to deal with the pain, diarrhea, fatigue etc.etc. I have always had D going up to 15x a day. I suffer from abdominal pain, fatigue, joint pain, and now I am battling what seems to be constipation but diarrhea still 10 to 20x a day ( not sure how that is) and a lot of mucus. I had a small bowel obstruction in 2014 and the surgical team were able to correct it with open surgery without a resection. I have had a negative colonoscopy for colitis but my doc gave me prednisone which was a miracle for a week. I am out of answers and I am fed up with not knowing what is wrong with me. I am hoping someone out there has an idea!

Last edited:
I would get back to your gp and demand a referral! Ive been struggling with symptoms for years too and finally got a referral in November and currently undergoing tests and waiting for results. What you are going through is not normal and should be looked into. Good luck!

Thank you for responding ! I will take all advice that comes my way. I've felt sick for much too long to have not pursued it because of fear of doctors and thinking this is all in my head.

fuzzy butterfly

No way is it in your head. Pain is not pain for nothing it's telling you somethings wrong. So dont be afraid to see a doctor. If you can try to look up the docs in your area n see if you can get to view a review of them . It may help find you a good one. Best wishes 💕

Welcome. I am glad they were able to take care of the obstruction without a resection. Have they done any other tests besides a colonoscopy?

I've had some blood work done and it shows something about my liver enzymes being elevated as well as something about my hemoglobin being off? and the doctor wants a ferritin test? My gastro internist whom I just met gave me resotran (I think it's a laxitive) and thinks I'm constipated. I kind of am right now but it's C but D. He wouldn't listen really when I told him I go to the bathroom easily 10 to 20x a day. I'm a little frustrated but it's my own fault for not pursuing this at the beginning. I wish I had.

Doesn't sound like good bedside manner.. A fecal calprotectin is a test with your stool. It measures inflammation.

fuzzy butterfly

Hi im sure that the ferritin test is to check your iron levels as low iron can cause tiredness n lethargy. I wish i had been more forcefull with docs in my early days i may have avoided surgery or at least delayed it. We live n learn some times to our cost !!
Hugs 💕

Hi im sure that the ferritin test is to check your iron levels as low iron can cause tiredness n lethargy. I wish i had been more forcefull with docs in my early days i may have avoided surgery or at least delayed it. We live n learn some times to our cost !!
Hugs 💕
Anrn

Thanks Ron an Mandyk ! I forgot to mention that I did have a celiac blood test and it was negative. I see my gp on Monday and I hope to get the ball rolling and find some answers. I want to thank you for this discussion as it's been very very hard up to this point. I've read a lot on here but haven't had the courage to talk about it. Thank you for making it easier.

fuzzy butterfly

You are welcome Fraz.. making the the step to join us and talk about it is a big one , you have done it now n it will be easier from here on in.
My advice is be strong and dont take anything from the doctors that you are not happy with.ie make sure they understand what is happening to you and that they address those issues. Ask for a fecal calprotectin test as this is one of the best ways to check for inflamation in the bowels. Write down everything you want to ask so you dont forget. Best wishes 💕

Catherine

I have always had D going up to 15x a day. I suffer from abdominal pain, fatigue, joint pain, and now I am battling what seems to be constipation but diarrhea still 10 to 20x a day ( not sure how that is) and a lot of mucus.
It is possible to have diarrhoea that is caused by constipation. The constipation caused a hard mass of stool to form and stool that manages to get around this mass appears like diarrhoea as it being forced though a small space.

You are your own best advocate!

If you feel like somethings wrong- listen to it and don't give in
until you get the answers you need!

You have found a great place for understanding and support and that
will be invaluable now!!

Hope you feel better soon!

Lauren

I just got my blood work back. My ferritin was in normal range at but my WBC and neutrophils were low and flagged. Not sure what that means so much.

So I had a colonoscopy and some polyps were removed. The doctor told me everything looked good and to have another colonoscopy done in 3 years time. Ughhhh! He persribed me a drug called resotran. ( he said I either did poor prep or I get backed up from constipation) wtf. I followed the prep to a T. I explained that I have bms at the minimum of 5x a day and upwards of 10-15. Alternate between mucus and d and soft stool. My joints are killing me , my fatigue is killing me , my abdominal cramping becomes unbearable. I've been dealing with all these symptoms for years and years and finally have had enough. I guess I had a small bowel obstruction and open surgery as a fluke at 34. My venting is done and I guess I'll just have to deal with this. Thanks for letting me look through this forum.

fuzzy butterfly

Hey Fraz er no you dont just have to deal with this. What meds are you on if any. Have you been been given a diagnosis of any kind. 💕

I am not on any meds currently. I was given prednisone at 50mg a day for 7 days. (Best 7 days of my life!)I've had flagyl and Cipro due to infections 3 x in the past year. I have no diagnosis , or one in sight. I don't wish to have any health problems but the reality is my body is saying that something is wrong. I have a physically and emotionally demanding job and I struggle most days and nights to get through.

Hopefully the Prednisone will clear up any inflammation.. Cipro and Flagyl usually take care of any sort of infections that it could be. Sometimes those can cause issues too though, like diarrhea and abdominal pain. There are blood tests that can point to UC or Crohns too. Have they tested you for Cdiff? Anything like that?

fuzzy butterfly

Fraz my advice is to kick up a fuss till you get some help here and a diagnosis. Do it politely but be stubborn and dont take no for an answer.
I took myself and my suitcase to my hospital. Told them a brief back story and said im not leaving till i get help as im ready to slit my throat right now. I cant stand this pain anymore. It worked they admitted me, my gi came to see me we talked decided it was surgery time for me as the remicade wasnt working. Had op never looked back . Been in remission 2yrs now. We have to be strong and fight for our selves or we can get left to rot,take no prisoners is my current line in my medical care. Ask for any and every test going that you can get. Best wishes to you Fraz. 💕

The prednisone worked like a miracle drug. I could open and close my hands, my lower back was great, my knees were great, my abdomen was not tender and I basically felt like a new man. Funny my gp said you'll feel great from this but don't ask for it when it runs out. He suspected that I have ibd and persribed the flagyl and Cipro when It was very tender to touch my abdomen and not to be gross but I had some sort of puss like discharge and brutal pain in the ass ( literally) before Christmas. Maybe I have ibs ? Or maybe I'll find out in another 10 years it was something else. Thank you for listening as I feel that I am lost and done with it.

Hopefully the Prednisone will clear up any inflammation.. Cipro and Flagyl usually take care of any sort of infections that it could be. Sometimes those can cause issues too though, like diarrhea and abdominal pain. There are blood tests that can point to UC or Crohns too. Have they tested you for Cdiff? Anything like that?
I was negative for cdiff.

fuzzy butterfly

You are most welcome, we are here to listen and help. I know my other post may have seemed harsh but I do believe that we have to fight for the help we need, as sad as that is..
Please don't give up and suffer it, you deserve better than that.. Please fight for the help you need to get better. It does sound like an ibd you have to me. (not a doctor tho) so please try and get a doctor to listen to you and help you.
We are here for you if n when you need us. I send you hugs and support. I pray you can get better soon 💕

Sounds like you definitely have inflammation of some sort if the prednisone helped.. Because thats what it does is take away inflammation. When you say puss do you mean mucusy stools? or did you have a sore that was draining? Have you had a CT at all? I guess one bit of advice is maybe go to your dr and ask for a CT Enterography of your Abdomen. It's a relatively easy CT that shows the whole portion of your bowel.. It's a lot of contrast to drink, but that's when they've found most of my answers. Before I was diagnosed I had a CT that showed Crohns, then had a colonoscopy that was inconclusive basically bc I had a tortuous bowel. Then had a Capsule Endoscopy that showed I had Crohns as well. It took a long time to get through all those tests.. But that's how they found mine. If you're having 10 stools a day, I'd be worn out.. I mean a poop a lot with my Crohns but when I start getting to those numbers I can't hardly function anymore. Good luck. I hope coming here has helped a bit. Maybe get some ideas on a direction to go at least. :)

Jamie thanks for the advice. I am battling hard with mucus stools but before Christmas I also had something weird that I've never experienced before. Gross but some sort of leakage that was puss like and quite a lot for a week before I finally went to the er because I was leaving te country for a holiday and didn't want to be on the hook for medical expenses when I was away. The doc gave me antibiotics and tramadolecet. And it seemed to have cleared up it about 2 weeks. The pain was awful. It was a new experience for me. When I got home after the holiday my gp didn't seem to interested in this new development.

Franz, so sorry to hear about your troubles and pain. Have they done any biopsies of your colon ? Ask if they checked for microscopic colitis. It is inflammation in the lining of the colon. It cannot be seen on a colonoscopy. I was recently diagnosed after years of misery. Just a thought. Hang in there! :)