• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New to forum - UC now Crohns and lots of changes

Hey there,
As with many others here, wanting to share my story in a supportive forum with other people that understand this disease and what we're going through.
I was first diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis in 2005 after having a month of pain, bloody and black diarrhea, and complete loss of appetite (didn't want to eat anything as I knew it would go right through me). Had a colonoscopy and was told I had UC and thus began my IBD adventure and complete change of diet and daily medications, henceforward. A month after diagnosis, I ended up in the hospital for a week with excruciating pain in my upper abdomen. After a multitude of tests, was discovered I had a duodenal ulcer. Was sent on my way with some pain meds, continuation of Asacol for the UC, and prednisone for duodenal ulcer.
Went about life as normal for the last 10 yrs, having mini flare ups here and there, as I figured came part and parcel with this condition. Knew that I would suffer if I ate certain foods, but would make the decision based on how much I was willing to deal with. I really love dairy and fruits and vegetables, so would cut out as best as possible, but sometimes, I just really felt like having a salad! Lol
Skip to Feb 2015 - having numerous and extremely painful bowel movements...debilitating me...cannot sleep, cannot eat, cannot work, cannot take care of my 7 year old son. Go in to the hospital where I go through another set of tests, including a colonoscopy, and discover, I actually have Crohns. A week in the hospital, dealing with a team of Dr's, a new one every day...on IV steroids for the flare and morphine for the pain. Eventually get the pain under control enough that I can be discharged from hospital. Go 2 weeks on the tapering prednisone and original symptoms of terrible pain and numerous bowel movements come right back. Back to the hospital I go...am told by my GI that I have become steroid dependant and so need to go back to the original dosage...a reset. So, I do...Next day, back in the hospital with pain so severe I am curled in a ball, sobbing and trying to breathe through the pain. Am sent home, after receiving some morphine for the pain, with some Percocets. 3 days pass, Percocets are doing nothing for the pain and I'm still going to the bathroom repeatedly...still can't function. So, I decide it's time for a 2nd opinion, as I am not happy with the care I've recently received...feeling like my symptoms/issues/concerns were not heard and I was just dismissed by being given some drugs. Went to a different hospital and requested to be seen by new GI doc that is based out of there...which I had done previous research on and he is touted as being the #1. Am admitted again, for another week...sigmoidoscopy, CT, MRI, x ray...no perforations in bowel, so good news! But, pain is still through the roof and so are my lab results for inflammation. IV steroids and morphine again...but this time, a new plan of attack! Am started on Imuran and my first dose of Remicade. Terrifying at first, when dealing with the initial shock of Crohns vs UC all these years, and now the outlook of lifetime medication and infusions. But, no surgeries in store as of yet, so have that as a positive view for sure.
Unfortunately, given my multiple hospital visits and time away, lost my job in the process. :( Huge defeat while dealing with all this, but luckily, I have a very supportive family and fiancé that are helping me through everything.
Am now a week out of hospital, still on the prednisone for the flare, imuran, percocets, vit D, and pentaloc (acid reflux med)...with my next course of Remicade scheduled for next week.
Felt much better about my discharge this time, was feeling better and with being under the new Dr's care and the treatment plan worked out, was feeling quite positive about getting this flare up under control and starting to get back to a semblance of "normal". Have now cut Dairy out of my diet (to an extent...still eat hard cheese in moderation, and some yogurt and ice cream)...discovered soy milk also does not agree with me, so almond milk it is! Cutting out other foods that I have seen said are difficult (like tomatoes, beef, fast food, etc.) Have been sticking to things I know will get me through - like white bread and peanut butter, but wanting to also see what else my body can handle. Tried a small salad today and some pasta with a rose sauce...definitely paid the price for that...as I'm still dealing with this flare, my tummy was not ready for that yet I guess...too soon. :( Sooooo, back to the staples of white toast with PB, chicken, white rice, fish and pasta with no sauce...fun times...lol
Trial and error for the next few months I guess, along with a food journal!
Glad to have found this forum and support of a community with understanding of IBD issues. Have looked through some other threads - food, recipes, stories, etc. and appreciate the opportunity to share and learn :)

Welcome from another one who went from UC to CD 20 odd years later.
Glad you caught it before surgery, hope that Remicade will keep it that way!

I can only say that this forum is amazing.

I'm glad I can feel the positive vibes coming from your post despite everything you have been through. Good luck with finding out what works for you (or doesnt) and please share it with us.

ps. I always think tomatoes make me worse but I would love to believe it is not true. I am too scared to try again though. As for dairy (and eggs) I realised I felt sooooo much better cutting them out that it has been worth giving it up. And now it has been so long that I don't even miss cheese any more (and for a while I would never have believed that!).

Thanks King of Orange...I absolutely love cheese and dairy...and though I've cut out milk itself, I'm not quite ready to cut out all of it completely lol. Some research has shown that hard cheese may be more acceptable than soft cheeses, so for now, while still dealing with this flare, I'm going to stay away from it. But, I do hope to incorporate small portions of cheese slowly back into my diet. Unfortunately, I won't be able to enjoy it to the same extent as I was accustomed to before, but even having a little bit will keep me happy :) lol
Thus far, I am very happy to have found this forum...I think it's always great to know you're not alone and other people know exactly what you're going through...that kind of support and understanding, especially among strangers, is, in my opinion, invaluable. :)

I was surprised about the tomatoes, but upon thinking back, can see the correlation. Spaghetti is my absolutely favourite meal, so I can't give that up, but will enjoy in moderation and will be a little more selective on sauces to try and accommodate the tomato part of it. Eggs seem to be ok with me. Pizza has always been an issue, which makes sense with all the garlic, tomato and soft cheese...kind of a combination for disaster lol. Caesar salad was something I cut out quite some time ago, as I noticed it wreaked havoc on me. I also knew that steak would make me pay the consequences later, so have cut that out as much as I can, but sneak a bite here and there when I can. Again, I feel like moderation is key and just paying attention to your body and how it reacts.
I find it fascinating how different things are for everyone out there...

My son can eat rice pasta and is able to enjoy spaghetti and chili mac. Using tomato sauce without sugar (costco) we get hard aged cheeses. We make 24 hour yogurt that can be used instead of milk. Modifying your favorite recipes with food your body can live with.
This was after a strict 18 months of SCD DIET .