• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New to Forum/Years with Crohn's

Hello, my name is Sharon and I was diagnosed with Crohn's since 1994. After inital diagnsis and starting meds. I really had no problems at all, nothing compared to other stories I have read. I had gotten to the point though where I could not eat most fresh fruits vegetables and some processed foods without having a flare up. Well, in 2004 I was diagnosed with breast cancer. I completed chemo and radiation and this seemed to do my colon good. I could now eat fruits, vegetables, exercised and lost 40 lbs. Well, in 2009, Flare ups started again and it has been a battle since. All in all, I feel that I do pretty good. I am able to work and to do most of the things I like to do, but I do not leave home, without wipes, spray and one time it had gotten do bad, change of underwear. I took Cimzia injections for about 6 months and it almost took me out. Fevers, chills, rectal infections, severe anemia, blood transfusions, and yes even congestive heart failure. That was not the drug for me. Right now, my complaint is this crohnic cough and fissures! As you might guess, I am a COMPLICATED patient. Cancer survivor, heart condition, thyroid issues, anemia and Crohns. But I thank God every day because it could always be worse.

nogutsnoglory

Welcome and sorry to hear about all your troubles. You are a fighter and I'm sure you will find the right treatment like you did for cancer.

What drugs are your disc considering next now that Cimzia didn't work out?

Hi Sharon, I'm new also been a member for a week now.
I agree with nogutsNoglory, you are a fighter.
Your reaction to Cimzia sounds scary, I never like the idea of injections as you are stuck with side effects at least with pills you can stop taking them if they don't agree.

Hey Steph_irish and noguts no glory. Right now, i am taking Pentasa and purinethol. I am praying that I can stay away from prednisone. it's so difficult for me at times because the things that I should be eating to keep my heart healthy are not good things for Crohn's. Anyway, I take one day at a time. some days are good, some are not so good but isnt' that life anyway?:yrolleyes:

I reckon that's tough, seems like you can't win on the diet front.
And your right taking one day at a time. :)
I'm on Omeprazole, pentasa, buscopan and iron supplement. Still haven't received official report to see the extent of what I'm dealing with yet. I was diagnosed on 19/12/13 a date i'll never forget via colonoscopy, my consultants reaction was it's pretty extensive, but I was pretty out of it, took every sedative on offer :)
I've have had various symptoms for quite some time now on and off.
All makes sense now.
Your statement about chemo and radiation therapy suiting your colon...my mums hair grew back her original colour. No greys at all. How strange it seems to alter things like that.

nogutsnoglory

I can relate on the frustration with having to eat less healthy foods to stay gut safe but we can only do the best within our means.

Have they considered trying another biologic or did they feel that your reaction to Cimzia would be the same on another drug like Humira or Remicade?

i don't know if this is the right thread to be posting. Have had Crohn's for at least 40 years now(had symptoms before but it was a "nervous stomach"!Had a 20 year remission after ileal resection but started to flare again after bout with shingles 4 years ago. On low dose prednisone and Humira. what really gets to me is the depressive and demoralized feeling that is there every day. Am on mild antidepressant which does help but every time I start to feel crummy I get scared and feel a bit suicidal.Severe anxiety as well, comes and goes.Any ideas on how to cope-I think I've tried everything but maybe??

Hi Dodo
I've had Crohn's for over 40 years myself, lots of operations the last was last Jan. - 17 hour operation to fix my coke pouch which couldn't be done so I have a stoma now. I also taking Humira and Mercaptoprine. Thank the lord for Doctor Sarah Glover at Shands she is an amazing Doctor.

You don't have to look far to find folks who have it a lot tougher health wise than either you or I. As much as I hate Crohn's and all that goes with it there are a lot worse things to go thru health wise.

Prednisone is nasty stuff personally I won't take it any longer talk to your Doctor to see if there isn't something you can take to replace it. I found it caused me to sink into depression among other things.

Check to see if there isn't a local support group you can take part it.

Exercise is a great way to change your out look on life and has done wonders for me over the years. Do you exercise everyday?

I find that keeping a positive attitude and knowing that things
Could be worse helps. Also, I believe and feel strongly
About the power of prayer! It comforts me.
Try to stay involved with life's activities as much as possible.
I REFUSE to allow Crohn's to take over my life! So, I keep
Baby wipes, spray, change of underwear, and always make it
My business to know where the bathrooms are. My doc says that at this point
I could never use the Remicade or Humira, they are basically the same as
Cimzia. Right now, my challenge is my diet. Sometimes, I can eat
Something and no problem at all! Another time I can eat the same thing
And it will be on! By the way, if I eat anything, I am going to have gas!

nogutsnoglory

Cimzia is like Remicade and Humira but sometimes one responds wonderfully to one and horribly to another. It's a very individual thing, I couldn't tolerate Humira but was fine on
Cimzia and now take Remicade.

nogutsnoglory

Well Cimzia worked well to close up some strictures and I tolerated it well but it didn't help an abscess and fistula that I had. Remicade is supposed to be best for fistulas so they wanted me to switch.