• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New to Forum

Hi! I just came across this forum today. I have only been out of the hospital a week and I had to return to the ER last night. I had a partial bowel obstruction two weeks ago. I have also suffered from complete bowel obstructions. I know some of you can relate to that and how horrible it can make you feel. When I had the complete obstruction, I looked forward to the NG tube to help relieve the pressure and to stop the vomiting. I'm missing about a foot of my small bowel from complications from surgery. In 2009, I went in to have my right ovary and tube removed (they thought they were enlarged) and they found my appendix wrapped tightly around my ovary and it was encased in it's own sack. The sack was my body's way of protecting itself. They think my appendix had rupture 2 years before when I was pregnant. It is rare for the body to form that protective sack and for a person to not feel pain.

Anyway, the removed my right ovary and tube along with my appendix. I woke up the next day with uncontrollable vomiting so I got my first NG tube. I had to go back for emergency surgery to fix a nick in my bowel. The nick was caused from all the stickiness from the infection I had inside my body. Two weeks later, I had to have another surgery because my bowel was twisted. It was so swollen that I had to have a foot of my small intestines removed and I had an ileostomy for 6 weeks. Then I had the reversal. I spent 56 days total in the hospital because of sepsis. I'm the one who kept telling everyone I was fine and that I was going to get better. My mom makes everything seem worse to me.

Six months later, I had a cyst the size of a grapefruit attach to my left ovary and my uterus so I had to have a hysterectomy shortly after my 29th birthday and a few months after my husband proposed to me. I already had a son and I told him I would understand if he wanted to find someone else who could have children with him. He said raising my son would make him happy and he was fine with it. He just wanted me to be healthy.

I wasn't diagnosed with Crohn's until last November and I started Humira in February. There has been talk that I may have to have surgery on the same section of bowel because it is thickening and narrowing. I want to avoid more surgery at all costs. I want it to be my absolute last resort. I will do it to keep myself alive. I have too much to live for and too many things I want to accomplish. It scares me to know that I know 2 people who didn't make it to their thirties because of this disease. My seven year old son worries about me and I can tell. I have been reading a lot of information lately. I have decided it is time to change my diet. Obviously, there is something that is going in and making things worse. I would like to blame processed, manufactured foods. I'm starting my journey into finding a more natural diet. Wish me well! If you have any insight into foods that seem good or bad, please share. I have several young "hippie farmer" friends who are on a quest to be self-sustaining farmers and I am starting to think they have point.

By the way, my dog in my photo has a doggy form of Crohn's. God must have sent her to me.