• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New to forum

Hi I am new to this but not to crohns. I was diagnosed 2 years ago through a colonoscopy. I did not have the diarrhea that most crohns patients have so I really didn't believe him. I had thought I had some IBS but not crohns. Reading what crohns sufferers went through I just couldn't relate , except for abdominal pain, gas and bloating. I read so much looking for help, safe foods for one aren't for another, I can eat pb toast and it seems to sit well for me. If I try a fruit or vegetable I bloat and hurt. Dr has me on bendiside sp, and then had me start something that began with a P to keep in remission. The b stuff seemed to work but when I added in the P stuff seemed to make bloating and gas worse. So I stopped the p stuff, still need to tell dr. I never throw up, a couple weeks ago had pains and threw up, Monday same, today well it's thinking about it. I went 4 days without a bowel movement but had one this morning. Don't freak on that that is my normal, that is why I hesitated posting because some people are so much worse off that I feel like a whiner. I finally stopped drinking dr mt dew a couple of weeks ago , though I never really associated that and pain, and cut down on coffee consumption and switched to green tea. I am anemic also. Idk just reading posts I don't feel like there is any hope. I like my gi doc as well as I like any dr. I'm 52 and would really like to get a longer remission than a few days. Weekends always bad because I am feeling good and so I eat more crap. I don't smoke or drink. Anyway that's who I am. I am scared at times with everything I read. I just don't know what to do, I am afraid to try things because if it hurts me worse, then what. Idk thanks for listening

SarahBear

Welcome to the forum, Havok!

Is the "P" medication Pentasa? The "B" med sounds like Budesonide, a steroid. When did you stop the Pentasa and how long were you taking it?

Four days with no bowel movement is not normal, especially if that is not what you typically experience. You definitely don't sound like you're whining - no matter what you're dealing with right now, you're still struggling and deserve support. Never feel guilty for posting here!

Did cutting down on the Mountain Dew and coffee help with your symptoms? Caffeine can be a big trigger for some people (as can carbonation). It might have contributed to the constipation you were experiencing.

I suggest you see your doctor about switching to a new medication. If it was Pentasa you were taking, it's a very gentle medication that hasn't been proven to be effective in treating Crohn's. Some people do well with it, but many others don't. There are other options.

:hug: I hope things get better for you soon!

Glade your here. take one day at a time. are you close to the Cleveland clinic? ck their web site. im at upmc in Pittsburgh. Ask anything. its ok to be afraid , sad, upset. at times I just and cry. im to in my 50s had this crohns for over 15 years. remission will come.