• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New to forum....

So I have Crohns and developed strictures. I had a laporoscopic surgery to remove 2 but they found 4 strictures and removed 30 cm of small bowel near the terminal ileu m. After the surgery I was in severe pain for 3 days. I've had obstructions before and know how much it hurts. From the moment I woke up I knew I was obstructed. They gave me painkillers but they hardly did anything. After somehow drinking enough test fluid to get a CT Scan they found distended bowel. Finally it resolved from not eating or drinking. I was let out of the hospital and still felt pain but started eating some solid food. Then on Friday evening after eating I got intense pain and vomited for hours. I did not call 911 but managed to relieve the obstruction and took painkiller meds and waited it out. The pain resolved and I resumed a clear fluid diet. A day later I was bleeding alot. The next day I was bleeding even more. So I went back to emergency today. I somehow got a private room by chance. And now I'm just waiting, and bleeding internally, until morning when they try to figure out what's wrong. It's a lot of blood...

Welcome to the forum. I'm sorry you're having such a hard time. Please keep us updated as to how it goes.:ghug:

Honey

Staff member
Hi there and welcome, so sorry you are having a difficult time. I do hope you get relief from your symptoms soon and start to feel better. Let us know how uou are doing. :getwell::welcome:

The bleeding stopped and my hemoglobin stabilized so they let me leave the hospital a couple days ago. I get head-rush when I stand up because my blood went from 120 to 90 while at the hospital.

I still get cramps when I eat too much, even if it is just low-residue. I get tightness and pain more when I stand. It feels very similar to the obstruction cramps I had prior to surgery so I hope they didn't miss something, because I'm almost 3 weeks post-op now. The surgeon team said the pain was a normal part of healing and it should get better.

I am just hoping for the best but its hard not to be paranoid, because in the past when something felt wrong it usually was wrong.

I was wondering if anyone had a bowel resection and how long it took for them to be able to eat larger meals with more fiber and not experience pain or obstruction. I thought 3 weeks post-op I would be able to. Though I did have complications after. I'm hoping in a couple more weeks I can eat more.

Honey

Staff member
Hi there just a note to wish you well again soon. I have no experience of your awaited surgery but hope all goes well for you.Best wishes