• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New to group

Hi,
I was diagnosed with Crohn's about 8 years ago. At the time I had horrible cramping, frequent diarrhea and bloody stools. I was put on Lialda and after a few months all my symptoms disappeared. The last 7 years I have been on lialda and have had no flare ups. About three months ago I started having rectal bleeding again. A couple weeks prior to the bleeding I started high dose vitamins for another diagnosis and I'm not sure if that triggered the flare-up. I stopped the supplements as soon as the bleeding started but it didn't stop. I had another colonoscopy and my GI said I have a very small area of inflammation in the rectum but the colon looks great. So I did three weeks of anusol suppositories and no change. I still have bleeding and now I have loose and cramps with bowel movements. I'm frustrated, I know this is a chronic issue but I was symptom free for so long. I was just started on proctofoam now too. I don't know anyone else with this diagnosis. It just makes me so upset to have to do these suppositories and not even know if they'll work. I thought the three weeks was awful now I have proctofoam two times a day. Does this stuff leak? Anyone familiar with it?

cmack

Staff member
Hi Cliff,

I welcome you. I don't have a clear answer at the moment. You are in the right place. We, as a community will help you delve into this. There are all the old posts to check. I will look into more info for you too.

your new friend,

cmack

cmack

Staff member
Cliff,

I never did have any foam. I had Ciprofloxacin and Flagyl. Both are anaerobic, meaning they work without the presence of oxygen. (so they are used for gut infections.) Do you take either of these?

cmack.

Hi. I am sorry for what you are going through. I think I may have been on proctofoam years ago. Personally, I don't do good with that kind of thing. Everyone is different though. You may need something else. Ask your doctor.

scottsma

I was dx'd with Proctitis at first.I used Asacol supps.2-3 daily to sort it,then dropped to one a day as maintenance.I hated using them,but they worked well for me.