• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New To Here and New to Crohn's

Hello,

I was just diagnosed with Crohn's last week, it was unexpected. My doctor had told me to expect a colitis diagnosis but when all my biopsies came back, it was Crohn's. To be truthful, I know almost nothing of the disease and have spent the last week reading everything I can on it and am a bit overwhelmed.

I was put on Prednisone immediately and am awaiting an appointment with a gastroenterologist.

Could anyone give me any general information from a person who has the disease's point of view?

Thank you so much!

Not first hand experience but as a sister and a Mother of Crohn's diagnosis try not to feel overwhelmed,Diet is a large key to controlling symptoms . Medications have come a long way since 30 years ago when it first effected my family. Lots of Info and advice here. Find a doctor you are comfortable with and continue to live as normal as you can.Do not let this disease control you

Hi Linsaylou80. Welcome to the forum. Sorry about your diagnosis but glad you found us. Not personal experience but mother of two kids with crohns. Knowledge is Power, so learn everything you can about the disease and treatments. this forum is a great place to learn, share, ask questions and even vent away. Keep in mind that everybody is different and what happens to some, or work for some is not the rule. Some need a strict diet while others have no restrictions. As far as I know, avoid nuts, seeds, popcorn, grease and spice. You can make your Diary of foods and see what triggers. Always keep your appointments and take your meds even if you feel good. Best wishes to you.

Hi lindseylou80! This forum is a great source of knowledge and support. Araceli is right in that the disease effects everyone differently and what works for some may not work for others.

Learning about crohns can be very overwhelming. It's also important to have a solid support system. Are your family and friends aware of your new diagnosis? Also, what are your current symptoms?

As far as general info goes, management of crohns usually involves management of medications, diet, and stress. Having a food diary helps you identify foods that don't sit we'll with you. Usually with crohns there are cycles of flares and remission. So know that you won't be stuck feeling crummy forever ( although it may feel like that sometimes). With help from doctors, family, and friends you will find the right combination of diet and meds for you to control your symptoms. So never give up hope. Sometimes if everything has tried to control symptoms and nothing has worked, surgery may be necessary, but usually used as a last resort (so try and be freaked out). I had surgery in 2008 and had two feet of colon removed, no colostomy bag, followed by 5 yrs of remission.

Additionally, crohns may cause more symptoms than just GI troubles, and this forum is a good place to learn about those as well.

Best wishes! :)