• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New to Infliximab

Hi, I'm new to this forum stuff but would like to tell my story. I have had CD for over 40 years now and during that time have had 5 operations including resections and strictoplasty. Ive been on all the drugs I have seen others on on here, and at the moment don't feel to bad. My latest xray reveals 3 areas of active CD and one is becoming strictured ( hope my terminology is correct). I have now been advised to go onto Infliximab. I have read plenty about this drug and feel very aprehensive but have agreed to go on it. At the moment apart from the usual visits to the loo, acheing joints and some dry skin I feel fine. I think the fact that I feel fine at the moment made me question why I should go onto this drug knowing some of the side effects. I am really glad I found this forum as it has made me feel a little better about going on with the Infliximab ( first infusion on 10th April 2013 ). I also had a heart attack some 20 years ago but they say it will be fine. Thanks for this opportunity to chatter. By the way my son was also diagnosed with CD 3 years ago at the same age I was when I was diagnosed. Think I have put this post in other places by mistake.

Angrybird

Hello and welcome to the forum :)

I am sorry to hear that testing has shown that the tum is unsettled, just to confirm is the stricturing found currently down to inflammation? I myself have been on Infliximab and it did do a great job at settling the tum, the docs do keep usually keep a very close eye on things with meds like these so any potential problems would be caught early. Are you on any others meds currently for your crohn's? Given the ops you have had do you know whether the docs ever do any checks on your vitamin levels? I hope your son is currently doing well with his tum?

AB
xx

Hello Angrybird,
Thanks for your welcome and reply. I dont really know if the stricture is down to inflammation only but the rumbles and frequent visits to the loo are all there. I also take Mesalazine and B12 injections for Crohn's and also take Asprin and Atenolol for heart and blood pressure. When I was first diagnosed way back in 1972 the operation available was chop it out which they did. In later years whilst some is always chopped out Strictoplasty is also performed. I was actually in hospital for 5 months prior to surgery once because I was so weak and lacking in albumin, I ended up being fed via a central line and became michelin man. The possible side effects of this Infliximab is what concerns me the most. I was on Methotrexate for a few months first but it didnt suit me and this is recommended. I don't feel to bad at all at the moment and my initial thought was if it ain't broke don't fix it but I think their theory is prevention is probably better than cure.....I guess. Thanks for your well wishes for my son, he did have keyhole surgery a couple of years ago and is doing very well.

Angrybird

When will you next be seeing your doc? It may be worth asking for clarification on what is causing the stricture. I am glad to hear that your son is doing well.