• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New to Site/Advice appreciated!

Hi Everyone,Im new to the site and would appreciate some advice...I was told I had IBS about 5 years ago, I would get bouts of Constipation,Dirrhea and pain down my right side which I was told was from my bowl being too packed,i started taking Fybogel (mebrevine) and with changes in my diet and more excerise I got it under control apart from the odd flare up BUT...
About 4 months ago I woke up from my sleep with intense pains in my stomach really cramping & painful I never felt pain like it,I went to the doc and was told it was just a tummy bug but 4 weeks later i was still the same so I want back to the doc and he said its my IBS acting up but ive never had this kind of pain before,here I am almost 5 months later no better extreme stomach pain everyday sometimes I cant even stand I just lie in my bed and cry,when it eases off Im left with constant dull ache & cramps on top of this in the last week Ive got explosive dirrhea and pains in my joints and muscles like Ive done 10 rounds with mike tyson,my doc has told me he doesnt know whats wrong and all he can do is advise i go to A&E,i feel really down and lost Im a tough 35 year old woman but this is starting to get the better of me,ive done a lot of reading up and im thinking I could have the onset of Crohns but Ive no bleeding and even though I feel sick I dont get sick,any advice would be so much appreciated...thanks (Adrienne-Dublin,Ireland) (sorry for such a long story!)

Last edited:
Like you, I was told I have IBS for a long time. I knew I didn't. We know our bodies the best. I don't have bleeding either.
Do you have a GI? If not i think you should get a referral and have a colonoscopy.
I hope you get some answers soon.

You don't need to have bleeding to have crohn's. Rebreb has the right idea - you probably should be scoped. You may be having partial obstructions. Are you getting bloating with this? How does the pain feel after movements? Do you notice a release in pain after passing gas? You could switch to low residue or softer diets short term and it should assist somewhat, but you really should get looked at.

Thanks for the advice,its a relief to just talk with other people about what im going through,I had an upper endoscopy about a 18mths ago,they found some inflamation and a small hietus hernia but I've never had a colonoscopy...yes I feel bloated all the time,sometimes I get relief after a bowel movement other times I find the pain gets worse but yes I usually get hugh relief after passing gas when im lucky enough to be able to as most of the time I feel I need to but can't! Any ideas what this means? Also can I ask will I be ok? I'm really afraid that something bad is goin to happen to me...thanks again for your support/advice really do appreciate it...Adrienne

A large number of people are first diagnosed with IBS, only later to be diagnosed with Crohn's or UC. The colonoscopy recommendation is a good one, and an upper GI series may be valuable. They will also want to do some bloodwork to look at your CRP and SED rates (and possible anemia or vitamin deficiencies), and maybe a fecal calprotectin test before the scopes. Best of luck.

I to was diagnosed with ibs ,where they wrong you will have to keep pushing with a doctor or gi for colonoscopy has taken them 15 years to diagnose me as have endometriosis as well as crohns, so please keep your chin up and make them listen to you. I don,t always have bleeding, but do get a rash on tum,bloating, pain,joint pain does that sound familiar?hope you get some answers keep strong lots of hugs.:kiss:

I to was diagnosed with ibs ,where they wrong you will have to keep pushing with a doctor or gi for colonoscopy has taken them 15 years to diagnose me as have endometriosis as well as crohns, so please keep your chin up and make them listen to you. I don,t always have bleeding, but do get a rash on tum,bloating, pain,joint pain does that sound familiar?hope you get some answers keep strong lots of hugs.

Well I have an update but no closer to an answer as to whats going on!...

I went to a&e they took bloods and xrays everything came back ok but their going to send me for a colonoscopy they put me on anti b's and sent me home...Im relieved that everything came back ok but even more mystified as to what is goin on with me!...yes 'boast' i get bloating and bad joint pain sometimes I feel like my knees are really swollen but they look fine! I dont know im just so confused but thanks 'boast' and everyone else appreciate all the advice & support...cheers :confused2: