• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New to site asking advice

My 21 year old was diagnosised with crohns and has been on remicade and methotrexate almost 2 years. Im wondering about the lowered imune system someone wants to give us a puppy do others have pets on these medications that lower imune system?

i have cats.. several of them... ive only been diagnosed since march, and im new to Azapriothine which lowers the immune system, and have had no problems, thus far.

I'm on methotrexate, just got off remicade a few months ago. 2 dogs, including a 4 month old puppy. I got a small cough when we first got her from the shelter, and a small rash, which went away with some over the counter stuff. Keep in mind I played with all a ton of puppies at a giant shelter. otherwise I have never had any problems because of them.

afidz

Super Moderator
I get infections VERY easily. I don't worry about the animals. And dogs mouths are cleaner than a humans.

I am on Humira and have 4 dogs :). They help with my stress levels (sometimes) so I think it helps me :)

PsychoJane

You know, among the numerous thing I worried about while I was on humira-MTX, I forgot to be anxious about animals because I just love them so much. I've never had issue with them in the process. If he likes animal, I think that can only benefit him. I'm a fervent believer in zootherapy. As long as he washes his hands while the puppy is a bit crazy and eating random stuff, I think he should be fine.