• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New to the board, but not to Crohn's

Hello all,

I joined the forum to respond to a post about an ostomy reversal that I happened across, but now that I'm here, I thought I'd introduce myself. Some of it is pasted from the other post. I guess you might call me a success story. At least I've been around for a long time!

I've been diagnosed with Crohn's since 1971, back before they had any idea of how to treat it. I became ill at college and while I was home for Thanksgiving, things went down hill very quickly. The local GP told me that I had "what President Eisenhower had" and that it would pass. Then the fistulas started. They just had no clue about what to do. There was a surgeon involved in the medical group and no one wanted to offend him by suggesting he was out of his depth! I wound up with massive complications from bad choices by my original group of doctors and they nearly killed me. I finally got to a competent surgeon who operated on me immediately and literally saved my life. I was hospitalized for nearly a year (in a month, out a week, etc.) and finally rejoined the world in 1972. I then began to live my life with a vengeance, having realized what a gift it was!

I've had two resections along the way with a pretty good run in between. The second resection was done on a semi-emergency basis in 2006 and resulted in an ostomy. The ostomy sucked and was dehydrating me to the point where I needed to go to the hospital weekly for IV fluids, just to keep up with the fluid loss. From day one, I was looking for a way to have the ostomy reversed. My surgeon convinced me to wait at least a year before he would consider it. He and my GI wanted to monitor how things were progressing and let my bowel rest and get in better shape. Between the earlier resection and the current one, they wanted to give me the best chance possible. I'm so glad I listened! I waited almost nineteen months before the reversal. The reversal was a success, but not without some complications. The surgery was every bit a major as the resection was, if not more so. My bowel had a difficult time restarting and that created some problems and a longer stay in the hospital. Additionally, because of all the belly surgery, I developed massive hernias, which resulted in two additional surgeries, where plastic mesh was put in to hold me all together. All in all, it was four major surgeries in just over two years.

Was it difficult? Yes.
Was it worth it? Most definitely Yes!
Would I go through the surgery again to reverse the ostomy? In a heartbeat!

Since then, things have settled down pretty well. I'm on 6MP, but nothing else on a regular basis. I take prednisone when I feel a flare coming on, which fortunately isn't too often these days. I hate prednisone because it make me depressed, but if it works....oh well! If I take the prednisone early enough, I usually don't have any significant symptoms to deal with. I've had Crohn's for so long now (more than 40 years) that it takes something pretty dramatic to get my attention. I always figure that my ambient, walking around pain level would put a normal person in bed for the day. LOL! I can't complain much. I've really been pretty lucky with the disease compared to lots of other folks that I know.

Through it all, I've been determined to not let it rule my life and so, I pretty much do what ever I want to do in spite of it. It's a distraction to be sure and sometimes it jumps up and bites me in the ass, so to speak, but it has never stopped me. I've certainly paid a price for it, but it's been worth it to have the freedom.

Happy Hew Year!

Scott

Angrybird

Just wanted to pop an say 'hi' here as well and thank you for sharing your story. You have certainly come through a lot and I am happy you are mostly doing well- how often do you tend to get the flare ups? I am also glad to see your other response regarding those vitamin levels :)

SarahBear

Welcome to the forum, Scott!

I'm very glad to hear you've overcome all those obstacles Crohn's threw at you! I hope things continue to go well for you. :)

afidz

Super Moderator
Hello and welcome!
It sounds like you have been through quite a lot! I am sure you have a lot of wisdom and experience under your belt, I am sure you will be a great help to others on the forum!!
How do you manage with the hernias? Did you have any difficulty healing? Are you concerned about them coming back?

Afidz,

Thanks for the welcome! (and you too SarahBear)!

I admit it's been quite a ride so far! Hope I can help around here.

The hernias seem to be in check now that all the mesh is in place. I haven't had any problems since it went in. The healing time was a bit slower than normal, not because of the mesh, but because of all the previous surgery. Still, I was back to work pretty quickly. I was actually working on the phone and computer from the hospital, so I didn't miss too much. I don't think the hernias will return with the mesh in place. I suppose if the mesh came loose some how, I'd have some issues to deal with, but outside of that I think the problem is solved. I'm sure the plastic will outlast me in terms of shelf life!

Scott

afidz

Super Moderator
Scott
I ask because right now I am about to under go my 14th surgery, this will be the fifth time they have tried correcting my hernia. And now because I have had so many surgeries on the same spot, I don't heal well and its likely the hernia will come back. The next surgery is beyond routine, and very complicated because my hernia has gotten so big. Thanks for sharing your story, its nice to know someone on here knows what I've been going through

Afidz,

Are you having the mesh put in? I was having the same problem of the scar tissue not being able to heal properly to more scar tissue. The mesh seems to have solved the problem by giving some more reinforcement to my belly. So far the result has been great. I'm four years out with it and no real problems.

Good luck with your surgery!

Scott

afidz

Super Moderator
I have had mesh put in everytime. and then it gets infected so they have to open me back up and rip it out. I have changed a few things in my lifestyle that should really change how I heal. If your interested, here is on of my threads where I explain a lot of whats going on
http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=42535 . thanks for all your help

Afidz,

Wow! I read your other thread. You have really been through the ringer!

My hernias were multiple, not one large one and my surgeon on got on with dealing with them pretty quickly. I don't know if the mesh that I have in is as large as you describe yours as likely to be, but I think it's pretty close. Mine covers virtually my whole belly. The recovery wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be, but I'm still not doing any heavy lifting involving my stomach muscles even four years later. I have tried to get in better shape in the belly, but after a few days of sit-ups, I always have to stop. Still, all in all, a somewhat slack stomach is better than a herniated one.

Hopefully this time will do the trick for you! Keep me posted with your progress.

Best,

Scott