• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New to the Community and new to Crohns

A

ak517969

Hello everyone!

My name is Angie and I was diagnosed with Crohn's Disease in March of 2003. In May of 2003 I went into the hospital for the first time, and two more times during the summer. In September of that year I had emergency surgery and had about 8 inches of my intestine taken out. I did a lot of research about the disease, and even my doctor was amazed at how quickly and violently it came up on me. I heard that generally people experience symptoms for several years before they even need to consider surgery, but I had no sypmtoms prior to 2003. My symptoms were even odd. I had bowel blockages and was diagosed with Crohns because I had the diseased portion of intestine where the small and large intestine met. My symptoms didn't seem typical at all. I am much better since surgery, but I am still dealing with what foods I can eat. As you all probably are frustrated just as much as I am when the doctor tells you that there is no specific diet for Crohn's - just try things out. My flare ups usually show themselves during stressful times in my life - espcially right now since I am planning my wedding for October 21, 2006. I was just wondering what other people have experienced and is my story typical of any other Crohns patients out there? The diagnosis is still all surreal to me since I was diagnosed and had surgery all in a matter of months.

D

DannyB

Hello Angie,

Welcome to our little family and we're very happy to welcome another member into it. I dont know if your story is all that unusual with people who suffer from crohns, some people are only diagnosed when something serious happens like a perforation or something very dangerous. Take care and we are around if you need to chat.

mikeyarmo

Co-Founder
Welcome to the forum. Congrats on the wedding and overall your story seems pretty normal (considering this disease is different for everyone though).

V

Valentina

hi Angie! welcome to the site. lots of super people hanging around to give support and advice.