• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New to the Crohn's Journey

I was dx'd in March 13 with Crohns after being admitted for SBO located in my terminal ileum. I have since been on Prednisone, Imuran and Humira to no avail and have experienced numerous subsequent obstructions which led to my first bowel resection last Wednesday. I am 26 and never imagined my life here. I was misdiagnosed for many years with IBS, but I wasn't always honest with my docs about the severity of my symptoms because I thought I was just being a pansy and needed to toughen up, eat better, figure out what in my life I wasn't doing right. I seriously tried everything OTC, holistic, dietary imaginable until I was to the point of just living day by day, in secrecy of my misery. This has been a roller coaster ride from hell for me and my husband, because just when I think I have a handle on this and understand the nature and individuality of my disease process, it changes entirely. Now that my first resection is behind me I thought I would be more at ease, because I would be better for some time, as lengthy hospital stays are not ideal, but I find myself depressed. I realize I will probably have another surgery and another and so on, which will further taint my self image and then I wonder how my husband will continue to cope with this as this has been a rough ride for both of us. He is very supportive, don't get me wrong. The prednisone has also not been kind to my body or self image either. Today I just find myself depressed for some reason and being restrained and restricted to my house during recovery and unable to do many of the things that would allow to free my mind is not making things better. I feel like I am in this battle alone at times because people do not understand Crohns (neither did I before diagnosis) and even my doc seems to be at a loss of how to treat me and it seems he is just "winging" it because things got complicated and I wonder if he is making the right decisions for me. Anywho, I sound horrible and I hope this doesn't just depress the heck out of someone, but I just needed to vent. :smile:

Steph,
I too had a resection after a couple years of marriage, it was hard. That was over 10 years ago, no subsequent surgeries yet. I do believe I'll have another at some point. But it is absolutely possible to have many good years. And now that you are diagnosed and will be treated, I hope you'll feel better than you have in a long time. This is a journey. Hang in there. And don't expect the worst!

DJW

Forum Monitor
Hi Steph and welcome to the forum. Depression is very common with chronic illness. I spent year sucking it up. After 35 years of crohns I talked to my doctor about treatment and counseling. It has made a world of difference in how I feel and cope.

I really appreciate the advice! I feel much better today! Being newly diagnosed and otherwise healthy and then BAM, one hospitalization after another with just a cascade of bad news following each, it all finally kind of piled up on me during this boring recovery phase where I have been forced to put things on hold and my mind is left running wild without distraction. I have come to full realization about the serious nature of this illness and I had never imagined at 26, I would be in this circumstance, but who does. I think in a couple weeks when I see this is all really going to work out and I am feeling better and less apprehensive about the future and life gets back to normal I will be just fine. :thumleft:

Steph I,m sure your like everyone on here your plenty tough enough,and don,t feel any guilt about having the blues when your recovering from treatment or having a bad patch.its takes courage to ask,admit you need help.
Good luck feel better soon