• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New to the Crohn's scene :)

Hi everyone,
I'm newly diagnosed with Crohn's. I started having really bad stomach aches back in jan. We thought it was my new birth control I was taking! I couldn't eat alot without being in horrible pain laying down in a ball! I lost alot of weight during that time. I finally went to the clinic in june because I couldn't stand it hurting anymore along with bad back pains. So then they realized I needed to have my gallbladder out because it was filled with a lot of stones. While my surgeon was in there he saw a mass! So 3 weeks later I had another surgery to remove the mass! Again while he was in there he took out part of my colon and some of my small intestine because it look liked plastic he said! My mass was tested and I was diagnosed with Crohn's. So now I am not in the pain I had before just crampy every once in awhile :) but the diarrhea gets me! I finally met my Crohn's doctor last week and he started me on asacol 800mg 3x a day! I haven't really noticed any difference yet! Does anyone know what is better way to take it? An hour before a meal or 2 hours afterwards? He also wants me to start a low residue diet! My question is what is a flare and how do you know your in remission? Does the diarrhea slow down? And does anyone know a good low residue diet ideas? Thank you for reading and glad to find this community!

Hi and welcome! I've never taken that medicine so I can't help you out there, but I can give you an idea of a flare up. Everyone is different, but when you're flaring, it sounds like in your case you'll experience diarrhea and stomach cramping. Basically any symptoms you've experienced while waiting to be diagnosed. In my case when I'm flaring I go to the bathroom upwards of 10+ Times a day, weight loss, loss of appetite, horrible stomach pains, joint pain and fatigue. As for knowing when you're in remission, believe me you'll know. It'll be the best you've felt since you've gotten sick. It's like having your life back and almost like you don't even have a disease. I was in remission for 6 years and have been going through a flare for 4 years now. I just started Humira and I'm starting to feel better so I'm hoping remission is in my future. I can't help you with the diet info, but I'm sure someone will comment shortly with some info. Good luck and I hope everything works out for you!

Hello Kiyoko, really sorry you've been diagnosed with Crohns but glad you've found the forum, this is definitely the best place to come for information and support and a lot of friendship too :).
The best diet is a low residue one, if you have a look on the forum wiki you will get some really good info on it. Basically it means avoiding high fibre foods, spicy foods, fruit and veg with skins on, nuts, sweetcorn and corn products, caffeine, carbonated drinks, grisly meats and I know I've forgotten something. Low residue is a bit bland but the idea is to rest the gut so it doesn't have to work so hard to digest the food. It's a good idea to keep a food diary and also make a note of your symptoms this can help you identify foods that might trigger your symptoms, it's also useful to take to medical appointments as a discussion tool. Hope this helps a bit, good luck and a very warm welcome to the forum.

Thank you both! Glad I found this forum! My doctor was really informative about how we are going to start the meds. But really didn't say to much about flares and remission. I'm just tired of going to the bathroom! He says he should get it down to 3-5 times a day which would be so nice :)
Lizabeth thank you also about the diet! I'm looking it up now! I'm hoping for anything to help!!

With the help of diet and needs my normal number of bathroom visits would be about four, much better than it was. Please feel free to ask any questions, nothing on here it's taboo and we're always here to help.

If you use the search tab at the top of the page and look for more residue that will give took good info aswell.