• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New to the forum, hello all!

:hallo3:

Hey, I'm Travis, 31 just; diagnosed with Crohn's at 11yo. Usually hospitalized at least once a year for severe flare up causing blockage, longest without hospitalization is 2 full years. Currently having a flare up as well, contemplating resection. I'm on no meds as I refuse to be on constant treatment for personal health reasons, but do take percoset for pain occasionally, use marijuana, and enjoy beer. I've come to this forum most times when I'm in need of some mental support, as I do not or have ever known anyone in life with the same experience as I. So let me thank you all for being here. Never have been on any anti TNF's, just the usual prednisone/5-ASA concoction, with my last 3 years using prednisone periodically to get the better of potential flare ups. I am now prohibited from self administering prednisone due to bone density concerns, although I try to make up for that with increased calcium intake. I've never had a resection or surgery as I was always told there is a 50/50 change the disease will come back with a vengeance (as if it can get any worse...). Ive recently had to switch careers due to an unrelated injury, from construction to audio engineering/music production, and have finally become aware of the mental destruction the disease brings through the ups, downs, and pain and trying to make up for the days/weeks/months/years being in mostly constant pain. The good days I try to make the best that can ever be, like chasing the dragon (I have never actually done that btw), the bad days I honestly sometimes want to die. I'm a tough and very stubborn SOB and this is the only thing that ever brings me to my knees. I've also used alcohol to extreme to where it has become a preventative measure, both in stress and pain management, as well as to keep things moving in the bowels (I only drink beer for this reason). I also suffer with ADHD, which can shoot my moods through the roof and beyond, quite a feat to manage everything. Having only to sit at a desk most days with my music equipment, I have gained much more insight as to how this affects us as people, and am just now realizing why things in my life have gone the way they have. I feel like my mind is finally crushing under the weight, and this is why I'm now considering resedtion and surgery. I have been open to Remicade etc... but the surgeon Brian Bressler in Vancouver only wanted to use this method of treatment after surgery, not before. During remission, I can eat anything for the most part except for foods high in fibre, so I eat a lot of meat and soft foods. I feel like I'm rambling, but please, take what I have said here and please, if you can identify or shed light or make recommendations please do. I need to finally talk about this, I've been strong on my own too long and need this to be in the open.

Thank you all.

Welcome. I am sorry you have this disease. Not absolutely sure but I think the alcohol could accelerate the disease.. I wish you the best with the surgery. I would also only use medication under the supervision of a doctor.