• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New to the Forum - never found remission since diagnosis, but keeping hopes high

Hello!

Never really been a member of a forum before, but I figure what the hell, why not!

I was diagnosed with Colitis and Crohn's disease at the cusp of 16 years old after hiding symptoms of blood, black out pain, etc. for nearly a year. After two months in the hospital I spent nearly two years on prenisone due to poorly executed taper. I've been on so many ineffective medications I lost count. I caught a bit of a break with Remicade and later Humira while attending college in Idaho an increase in symptoms began to emerge once more during my senior year. After just over one year of working full time following gradutation my body is fading quickly. Following a number of infections Humira was checked off the list and I now find myself starting on Cimzia and in a severe flare. I get to take the second loading dose on Wednesday and couldn't be more excited.

Part of my experience this past year has been Erythema Nodosum - pain I had not experienced since before my diagnosis at 16 and certainly did not connect to any larger underlying illness. "Weak Ankles" my dad and soccer coaches would say. The benefit of having years of experience with this disease is that I have been gaining a larger encompassing view of my situation. This time around, as things have continued to spiral further and further downhill the past two years I've now learned that Erythema Nodosum almost acts like a warning.

Upon my last scope in April ulcers/ disease/ inflammation was visible just above my stomach, in the stomach, throughout the ENTIRE small intestine, and in large portions of the large intestine along with a disturbing looking mass 50cm into the large intestine that looks like it should be more... but is simply a gnarly mean looking mass of colitis.

I have an amazing boyfriend who makes a wonderfully caring caretaker. Despite this flare we are making the move from Idaho to Colorado in the next couple weeks to find care closer to an area we actually wish to live in, and with job opportunities that present more then a max of 10.00/ hour with no benefits. Oh, Idaho - I will not miss you much!

7.5 years of active disease isn't easy, but through my boyfriend's loving support, and an ever growing respect and participation in yoga and meditation life simply feels... normal, and while I'm not a fan of the pain (what sane person would be?) I am deeply grateful for the path I have walked because & despite of this disease. Hoping this move goes slowly and keeping TWO rolls of TP in the car :)

Looking forward to checking out more of this forum.

Hi Duh Panda,

I hope the Cimzia is the one for you, glad that you're keeping positive and have such a supportive boyfriend. Hope the move goes smoothly. We moved from Utah to California about 7 years back and then from California to the UK two years ago, so I know what it's like when you're moving. But I always tried not to stress too much. I think I was more stressed when we were closing on our house. :)

Keep us updated on how your treatment goes.

David

Co-Founder
Greetings and welcome to the community. I'm so sorry to hear that you have never been in remission. My heart goes out to you.

I pray that Cimzia is the solution for you! If it happens not to be, I strongly suggest you look into the clinical trial in my signature.

All my best to you.

valleysangel92

Staff member
Hello and welcome to the forum
You seem to have been on quite a journey and I have to say I admire you're positive attitude! You seem to have such a good outlook on things.

It sounds like you have a very positive relationship, which is great and now you have us too :) .

Hopefully this move will be the positive change you hope and the stress won't cause you too many more issues.

I sincerely hope that cizima is the answer for you.

Please keep us updated on how you are doing, you seem like you are going to be a really good addition to the community and I look forward to seeing you around the forum.

If there's anything at all we can help you with, if you ever need to vent or moan then that's ok :) .

If you ever want to chat then you are welcome to send me a private message too :) .

Hi everyone,

Thank you for your reply's. It is so good to have some support from others that experience the day to day ups downs and everything in between!

A bit of an update: I had to rush to my dr's yesterday due to severe nausea and abdomen pain that wasn't passing in its usual pattern. No blockage or surgery necessary (which has always been one of my greatest fears), however, it does appear the disease and inflammation is out of hand since I've been off the Humira for over 2 months now, and it'll be another 2 months or so until the Cimzia tends to kick in. In the mean time that means another round of Pred.

Nom Nom Nom - Food I'm Coming For You!

I really hate how things can just escalate even further seemingly out of nowhere, but I'm grateful it is just my Crohn's being well... crohn's and there's nothing unusual going on in addition to it. This is something I can handle, even if I wish I didn't have to.

Anyways, despite this little hick-up we're still moving forward with the move. I figure give the pred. 48 hours and I'll be feeling better then I have in months. Tends to be the case anyways. I'm not sure what day we will leave our visit with family and move onward since it was supposed to be tomorrow.. but hopefully by Monday or Tuesday things will be coming together nicely.