• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New to the forum still struggling

Hello my name is Rick and this is my first post. I have suffered with Crohn's since 1975 when I had a bowel re-section of my small and large intestines. Since then I have lived with chronic diarrhea and have not found a medicine that helps! Does anyone have a suggestion on what I might try? Meds or diet?

What meds have you tried? I too have had a resection and I would say that 90% of the time I have "D". I have not found anything to really help as far as medication is concerned. I know that some swear by a little bit of fiber like Metamucil to thicken things up but I have not found it useful myself.

nogutsnoglory

Welcome Rick, you are a Crohn's veteran. A lot of people have success with psyllium but that's only ok if you don't have any inflammation or strictures.

I have strictures so I use Immodium which helps a lot. I can't use it in excess because it can also cause an obstruction. I use it to get me out of the house when times are tough.

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Hi RickF65 and welcome to the forum! :D

Since you had a resection that removed both parts of your small and large intestine it may be very likely that your Ileocecal Valve was also removed (do you know if it was?). If it was removed then that alone can cause chronic diarrhea. It is possible to have it reconstructed however more recent studies show that its not a promising procedure: http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=50495 However its mentioned in that link that Mesalamine may work better after a ileocolectomy (removal of the ileum) with removal of the Ileocecal Valve.

Has your GI suggested anything to help with the diarrhea such as Lomotil or even the BRAT (Bananas, Rice, Applesauce and Toast) diet? That diet isn't strictly those four foods but is mainly bland, starchy foods in hopes of bulking up the stool. To get more nutrition though there's also the Low Residue Diet. http://www.crohnsforum.com/wiki/Low-Residue-Diet

I hope things get better for you. Keep us posted on how you're doing. :)