• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New to the forum, thought I'd introduce myself

My name is Nate, I'm 18 years old and I live in Oregon. I was first diagnosed with Crohn's in May after noticing a lot of weird things in the preceding months. I first starting noticing symptoms in November. The symptoms weren't that bad and even though I was worried, I didn't tell anyone what I was experiencing. I was training for track during the winter and I noticed that I was starting to feel worse and worse as the season approached but I still brushed it off.
My senior track season started and my symptoms began to get much worse. My stomach would hurt constantly during the day, during practice the pain would increase, and after practice I would speed home in my car to get to the bathroom. My times got way slower and I was running my freshman year times in the 1500 and the 3000. I started losing weight and by the end of the season I was down 20 pounds from 145 in November. I was constantly fatigued and I had to stop running the 3000 because it was just too hard. Before the season I was a lock for a spot on varsity but I dropped to JV after a couple of races. After an extremely difficult practice in April, I finally told me coaches and parents what was going on. I went to go see my pediatrician and she sent me to a GI.
The GI said that I would have to get a colonoscopy and even though I was worried, I'm a positive person and I used humor to calm myself down. I had my colonoscopy in May and two weeks later, I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease. I was somewhat scared but a good friend of mine (who also went to prom with me in April) has Crohn's and she helped me learn a lot about the disease. Plus, my friends and family were very supportive during this tough time. I was put on Apriso (the first day I took it was my last day of high school) and I started improving. I felt great during June and July, I gained ten pounds and I thought that I would continue to get better. Then I went on a vacation to California at the end of July.
The second day I went to the beach after putting on a ton of sunscreen. The waves must've knocked the sunscreen off because I got majorly sunburned. I was in a lot of pain so my parents gave me ibuprofen. I took ibuprofen for three days then noticed my stomach was hurting and my symptoms were coming back. Because I was in pain, I took more ibuprofen, not realizing that it was causing my flareup. My flareup got worse and the drive home from LA to Portland (18 hours) was hellish.
When I got home I went to go see my GI and he told me to immediately stop taking ibuprofen and he put me on prednisone (40 mg per day). I was on it for about two weeks and while I would feel fine during the day, around 5-6 in the evening I'd start to feel bad and during the night I'd wake up 3-5 times to go to the bathroom. After two weeks they upped my dose to 60 mg per day but I still felt like crap.
The night of August 15, I began throwing up and going to the bathroom every hour. The next day my mom took me to the GI doctor and the nurse took one look at me and sent me to the emergency room. The people at the ER said that I was very dehydrated and malnourished and they decided to admit me to the hospital in order to get my flare under control. I was in the hospital from Friday to Wednesday and was discharged Wednesday morning. Wednesday night, all my symptoms came back. I was throwing up and going to the bathroom constantly and it was like the hospital stay never happened. I was admitted again to the hospital on Thursday and that night they gave me Remicade through my IV. I began to improve and I was discharged again on Monday the 26th. The 11 days I spent in the hospital were tough, but I had plenty of visitors and lots of support. Unfortunately, I got sick just as many friends were leaving for college so I had to say goodbye to some of my closest friends while I was in the hospital.
After I got out, I was on my couch for about a week, recovering and gaining weight. During the flareup, I had lost 20 pounds in 25 days and was down to 115 pounds. Two weeks after my first Remicade infusion I got my second Remicade infusion and I was feeling great. I was gaining weight and I was feeling well enough to take a trip to Charlottesville, Virginia (where I used to live for eight years) to go see the Oregon Ducks play the Virginia Cavaliers. I felt great that weekend for the first time in a while, saw many old friends, and had a great time (plus the Ducks won). I'll be attending the University of Oregon in the fall and I'm optimistic that the Remicade will continue working and that I'll be in remission for the rest of my life. I'm currently experiencing a strep throat infection and a mini flareup but I'm feeling better and hopefully I'll be completely healthy before school starts on the 26th. Thanks for taking the time to read this and I hope to learn more about this disease from reading the forum.

Just wanted to welcome you to the forum. There are are a lot of members your age on here that are at college or headed to college with CD. My son is a junior in HS so he hasn't had to face all of those adventures/challenges yet. He was diagnosed at 15 and went straight to Remicade. He is doing well and carrying on like a normal teen.

I would encourage you to contact the office of disability at Oregon if you haven't already, it should be an easy transition of your 504 plan from high school if you had one. Either way they can get your suite accommodations or at least a private bath and will work with your professors in relation to your CD and of course also the cafeteria.

I hope you continue in remission and good luck at college.

Hey, my name is Keagan, I'm 23 and I also live in Oregon, born and raised. I was diagnosed with Crohn's when I was 8 and its been an interesting 15 years. I'm told I was born with CD but there's no way to tell for sure. I have been on remicade, humira, prednisone, asacol, 6mp, flagyl, oxycodone, promethazine and probably more meds I can't think of. I had a remicade infusion last Saturday and had a reaction to it, I guess my body doesn't like it anymore so I'm going to be going up to OHSU in te next couple weeks to discuss alternative options with a GI as well as an immunologist, unfortunately there will also be a surgeon present to talk about options of resection. I've never had surgery specifically for Crohn's and I hope I never do, but according to my current GI, it might be my last option for a stable remission. I hope that remicade works for you for years and years, my advise. Don't ever stop it, especially if its working! I made that mistake when I was 16 and I regret it. However, I am who I am today because of the choices I made yesterday. :) I have a beautiful daughter, almost a year old, and a son due to be born next month. :) being healthy is my top priority.