• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New to the Forum

Hi All,

I am a married 38 year old male with a 6 year old son. I have had Crohn's like symptoms for 20 years (even on my wedding day). I've never had a formal diagnosis for Crohns. I also have Ankylosing Spondilitis (spinal arthritis) and Iritis which were both diagnosed formally. They are all tied together genetically with the positive test for the HLA-B27 marker.

I workout twice a week...even a few rounds of boxing now and them, eat well, and try and maintain a low stress lifestyle.

Enbrel is my drug of choice for the AS along with occasional Diclofinac.

With that said, I had a scare a month ago and that drove me to visit this GREAT forum.

I was in the restroom early in morning with stomach cramps as many of you probably have been. I was in there about 3 min and then I awoke on the floor to my wife asking me if I had passed out....which I had for about 2 minutes. I split my head open and there was blood everywhere (from my noggin). We suspect that it was from the pain of the cramps. :ybatty:

With all that side I may be able to offer some techniques on how to help experimentally sort through foods that give you trouble using a technique called "Design of Experiments" that I use as an engineer for other purposes. It is especially useful for determining cross interactions between foods. I'll probably do another forum string on that if I don't find anything similar. :cool2:

Thanks for your time and this vast resource. It has been very helpful.

Last edited:
Hi Jon, welcome to the forum! I would say that you probably did what is called a "vasovagal" reaction. There is a large nerve that runs down your body, and sometimes when you are on the toilet you can trigger it and pass out. I've seen patients do it several times, it always scares the hell out of the nurses and sometimes they call a code blue. I'm a respiratory therapist :). Please do share your tips on finding food triggers, it's always good to hear someone else's ideas!

GM, I need help I posted on somewhere I need help I have found out I have severe an advance Crohn's in my small intestines,, an I have a enzyme that can not break down pill forms an they are wanting me to start on remicade or humira, I do not know what to do or exspect,, I am scared I have a lot of other problems also,,, fibromyalgia, breast cancer survivor, back surgery disk replacement, angioma in brain, an RA, an chronic gastritis an hiania hernia, an few more things just need help please,,scared.. thank you.. joney

Prettywoman, you and I have a lot in common! I've had a 2-level fusion in my back, have GI problems, and was just diagnosed with a brain tumor. It is scary having all of these problems. Try the IV form of the medication and see what it does for your GI symptoms. It seems like a lot of people have success with either Remicade or Humira. At least one thing would be under control, and for those of us with a laundry list of medical problems, it can really help to have some control! Definitely utilize this forum for support. It helps me a lot to connect with everyone here.

Thank you mccindy yes it is scarey, just tired of something especially I do not know what I am in store for, they say I have enzyme TPMT, an been reading about it, so kinda scared not to have any reactions to this form of therapy, an I am thinkin about the remicade since they will be doing it at hosp, but thinking I have to do this rest of my life, I have so many allergies, I am allergic to most antibiotics an contrast dyes can not have much things I can take or to find out problems what is going on,, just praying I have no reactions to this med,, plus I have maculate degenerative in my eyes, an tinuiitis in ears,, wow seems like I am losing it all, just nice to have people to talk to who understand an can explain to me because you do not hear all things from doc, I am type I like answers. an hope you do ok will be praying for you:smile:

Hi Jaqui,

Yeah, I am headed in to get scoped to see if there are any telltale signs of Crohns. UC or Crohns has a long history in my family (mom, aunt, grandpa, grand-uncle, grand-aunt, and great grandmother).

Fortunately it is a pretty minor and manageable case compared to some people.

Thanks for the encouraging words.

Hi Mccindy,

You are correct. The ERs nearly immediately said vasovagal. Nausious just prior to going out, super clammy, sweaty, and disoriented after waking up and silly for several hours after...that could have been all the bumps on the noggin :)

Thanks,
Jon