• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New to the forum

dave13

Forum Monitor
Hi! I was diagnosed with Crohn's 11-29-13 after the tests came back from a resection of my small intestine. I went to the ER in extreme constant pain on a sunday morning and had a cat-scan,ultrasound,x-rays and blood tests. I was told a small section of my small intestine was,basically,not working and constricted and would need immediate surgery. I was told to go to a hospital in a larger city where they had the surgeons with the required skills. My wife drove the hour and a half to this hospital and as sunday turned to monday I went into this ER. I had now spent 12+ hours in an ER having tests or traveling to an ER...long story short,I was operated on monday morning and spent the next week in the hospital. Thanksgiving week no less. I came home the saturday afternoon after Thanksgiving. I am in my second week of "rest" and happy to say I just had my staples removed from my incision. This is also the first time I spent in the hospital and my first operation. I'm 50 by the way. I'm determined to be proactive about this and don't mind saying I feel a bit lost right now. I don't meet my GI until mid february but have been doing research on my diet. I could go on,enough for now.

nogutsnoglory

Sorry about your diagnosis and I hope you continue to improve following surgery.

Diet is so individual, there isn't a crohn's diet. One person may handle a food and the next person may be a wreck over it.

Have they indicated what maintenance medicine they may put you on?

I am sorry about your surgery, but glad your doing well!
My personal experience with "diet" is that it all came slowly. For Instance for me it started with dairy (lactose in dairy really) at first it didnt bother me then BAM milk put me in tears. Then over a month or so it was all lactose and by the end of that month it grew to include eggs... It went on from there and nearly a yr and a half later and Im still finding foods that bother me. I will say a food journal with in depth ingredients have narrowed things a lot.
Good luck!