• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New to the Forum

Hi all. I finally decided to get on the forum and learn more about the disease. I was diagnosed in 2010 and went through most of the usual problems-abdominal pain, weight loss, etc. Nausea wasn't one of my symptoms, however. I'm 46, relatively active and live in the southeast. I have two children but neither has shown symptoms, and I have not found anyone in my family with this type of disease.

Under GI doctor supervision I went through the usual steps of trying out different meds, but for the past two years a regimen of one infusion every two months and tablets daily have done the trick, so far. Though I feel fortunate to have my life back I do not want to be on meds forever so I've been experimenting with various dietary and lifestyle changes (aloe juice, organic green juices, cutting down on meat and dairy, reading more, massage therapy and reflexology to date).

I'm looking forward to learning from everyone and sharing experiences!

Hi JayHow
I've never been able to find any family member with crohn's either guess I was the only lucky one. I'm new here but it seems to be a great way to find support and look forward to doing a lot more reading.
Happy Holidays to you..

Hi Jay, and welcome!
Pull up a chair and share away. I only joined last week or so, and this forum has been amazingly supportive and full of info :D Glad you have achieved remission, I am certainly jealous, especially since I don't even have a diagnosis yet /sigh

David

Co-Founder
Hi there and welcome to the community. I'm glad you joined :)

I commend you for looking to learn more about your disease and for experimenting with different dietary and lifestyle changes. Good for you! I'm sure you'll find lots of new ideas here over time :)

Again, welcome!

HI Guys

I was only just diagnoses with Crohn's on 10/12/2013.I was admitted to hospital with severe stomach pain & diarhroea, it seems I've been walking about with it for a couple of years and didn't even know. I spent 3 weeks in hospital on iv drips for fluids, steroids and antibiotics. although they managed to stop the diarrhoea Im still in a lot of pain, I have been prescribed oxynorm for the pain. I am taking 40mls of steroids a day which are making me eat constantly, but I don't seem to be gaining even an ounce in weight (so frustrating). I have to go back to hospital in Jan for a colonoscopy to decide if I need resection surgery as apparently going with the results of 2 CT scans My bowel is in a bit of a mess and thickening from lower bowel to appendix. Can anyone give me any advice on how to gain weight, and what has been your experience with surgery. one last thing, doctors not been to good at explaining what will happen after op, will I need a stoma bag?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Trishcam x

Good afternoon,
Thanks for all of the replies! Every little bit of support helps so I will return the favor as much as possible. To Trischcam39, this was just my experience but the steroids helped me as well but I didn't want to stay on them for long. I think I took them for about 2 or 3 months. My doctor did not want to keep me on them either so the next step was Remicade which has worked wonders. I've been on it for about 2 years, going on 3. When I started the Remicade my weight was around 150-160 pounds. After a couple of months I was back to my 'normal' weight of 180. A dietician gave me a supplemental drink to help with weight gain but I didn't use it. Kind of like the weigh gain stuff bodybuilders use.

dave13

Forum Monitor
Hi JayHow,I was diagnosed 11-13 and a new member as well.I find this forum very helpful and encourage you to use it.I asked family members and can't find any history of Crohn's either.I have had a resection of my small intestine,8" or so.I see my GI in February,soonest appointment I could get.I don't want to go on drugs.I have been using probiotics,fermented foods and various supplements as well as a re-tuned diet.I use this forum for knowledge and support and enjoy the humor people manage to bring.I do feel overwhelmed at times.I know so little about this disease I now have.It doesn't seem to have any concrete boundries,if you know what I mean.We all seem to be affected in our individual ways.We may share triggers with others but nothing is a constant.You can probably sense I'm a bit frustrated by all this.I'm coming to grips with this life change at the age of 50.I do have great family support:ghug:!!! I will not go quietly,I will not back down....I may get tired and have to take a nap,but crohn's better watch out!!!:cool2:

Dave13,
I haven't tried the probiotic route but I've read a little about it. I agree completely that this is kind of a moving target disease, no real boundaries or consistent causes which makes it very frustrating. If I could get an understanding of HOW I GOT IT that would help but I can't, that was the hardest part to deal with for me. I'm going to do more research on probiotics, I'm not backing down either!!!

dave13

Forum Monitor
The moving target analogy is right on.How we got it? The million dollar question.There are obvious decadent previous habits that contribute,or do they? I know severe abusers of body and spirit that seem to glide along unscathed.