• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New to the Forum

Hi
I have been in remission for 10 years and now have had a flare up. I have been on Asacol HD since I have been diagnosed but now my doctor is wanting to change my meds. He is wanting to put me on Mercaptopurine and Cimzia combinnation. When I read the side effects on the medication it scares me. Does anybody have any experience with the drugs? Thanks Sfrank

Welcome to the forum. I understand your concern.My son has been on the biologic/immunosuppressant combo but with remicade and methotrexate not Cimzia and 6mp. The risk profile is the same though. He was on the combo with no side effects for a year and a half. The disease is now progressing so we are moving on to other meds or possible surgery. Although , the thought of those meds did scare me in the beginning the fear of them not working and his disease being uncontrolled is even scarier for me.

The side effects are rare but can be serious and are definitely scary to read. I would make a list of your questions and concerns and go over them with your GI.

My son received frequent labs to stay on top of anything that may arise. I hope you are able to find some relief soon.

You have to decide which is worse, quality of life vs medication side effects. I spent years trying every med and failing. Yet, I was frightened of Remicade. This last time, I was so sick I finally agreed to give it a try. 1 week after my 2nd infusion, I was born again. I had forgotten what it was like to feel well and every day I am thankful for it. If the drug decides to give me cancer, I will still have this time to be thankful for. That's what you have to discover. However, I am, ahem, a somewhat old lady and my priorities may be different. :)

I am new, but I have been on 6MP and asulfasine since January. I feel worn out, have a funny taste and smell, and some nausea, but I don't know what's meds, what's Crohn's and what's malnutrition. I don't have horrific diarrhea (10-20/day) anymore, and while my tummy hurts, I'm not laying on the bathroom floor. I'm still deciphering everything, tho, but I hope this helps a little. I hope you feel better!