• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New to this ….

Hi! After many years of acid reflux with no cause found despite many investigations, I became anaemic with very little iron in my blood and so had another OGD (normal) colonoscopy (again normal). They then did a capsule endoscopy which showed ulcers in my small bowel on the images. My consultant says he needs histology to confirm a diagnosis and give treatment and so arranged a further however they couldn’t access the ileocaecal valve so failed to get biopsies. I previously had a calprotectin test which what negative but have now been advised I need another one! Not sure what happens next ….. still feeling terrible, lethargic etc but no further forward. 😢

Scipio

Your case sounds a lot like mine. A shockingly low hemoglobin and iron sent me to the doctor. Everything looked normal by colonoscopy, upper endoscopy, and CRP blood test. The diagnosis of Crohn's was confirmed by capsule camera endoscopy ("pill cam") that spotted ulcers in the ileal region of the small bowel. There was also some thickening of the small bowel wall visible on x-ray indicating inflammation.

The combination of severe anemia plus visible ileal ulcers was enough for my GI to diagnose Crohn's. Biopsy specimens of the ulcers were not collected because they could not be reached by colonoscopy. The doc has succesfully treated me for Crohn's for 9 years. Currently on the biologic drug Stelara and enjoying a solid remission for 4 years. now.

Scipio

Thank you for your reply …. My GI has said he can’t diagnose and treat without histology 😢 despite photos from pill cam !!
So then what is his plan to resolve this? Will he diagnose if the fecal calprotectin comes back positive? If that is also negative are you just doomed to continue suffering with no path forward? If so, I suggest getting a new GI.