• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New to this disease

Hi everyone.
I am pretty new to this whole thing. new to using forums, new to reading blogs, and especially new to Crohns disease. I guess you can say I am a newborn. I was diagnosed in May.
In fact, my symptoms started the day after mothers day. I was beside myself with pain in my abdomen and directly in my naval area. I waited until Wednesday, thinking it was a stomach bug. My mother insisted I go to the walk in ER. So I did. The NP came in and said you have 2 choices, I call you an ambulance or you get a ride to Ri Hospital because I think you may have appendicitis. Which that in itself is scary. I chose option 2, and spent a good 5 hours at the hospital. a hefty dose of morphine and a catscan later, no appendicitis and some inflammation in my terminal ileum. I saw my GI doc 2 days after and the next day he had me in a colonosopy. When I woke up, I got the news. Crohns. Great. Everything seemed to happen so fast. Next thing I know I am on prednisone, Tramadol, and a bunch of vitamins, We havent figured out a long term med for me yet. I have other issues as well. Im anemic and I have thalassimea minor. My Gi doc is having me see another GI in his practice who specializes in Crohns. Im in pretty good hands.
I'm usually one who obsessively researches a topic until I cant find any new info on it, which is how I found you all. I even joined the Take Steps walk on the CCFA.org website. I;m pretty scared, as this is all new to me. So you might see me pop up in threads and maybe post my own stuff. Bare with me. Hopefully you all can teach me a thing or two. Anyhow, Nice to meet you all.

Hi there! Welcome to the forum.

I'm in a similar boat to you. Woke up from my colonoscopy on Saturday and was told I had Crohns. Started on meds 4 days ago and have been trying to read up since. It's good to hear you have a good doctor. It's always good to get a conclusive diagnosis. It can be overwhelming at the start to be told you have a chronic illness but hang in there. In the last few days I've discovered this forum is a good wealth of information and supportive people. Most people in here seem both willing and able to answer any questions and many have gone through the same experiences too. Hopefully your meds should begin to work soon. My prednisolone began to relieve my symptoms a little after only 3 days. Hope also that the GI should be able to give you some ideas on how best to take on the condition. I would probably suggest starting a diary so you can track your diet and medications. I think it may help to isolate which things work for you and which don't. My GI told me to start on a low residue diet and minimal dairy intake, supplemented with vitamins (mainly iron, b12, c, d3) and a nutrition drink once a day to help me put on all the weight I've lost. Your GI may recommend similar depending on what your individual case is like and what your blood tests show. Hopefully you'll be on your way to remission soon!

David

Co-Founder
Hi there summerbaby and welcome to the community. I'm glad you're going to be seeing a GI doc that specializes in Crohn's disease. That can make such an enormous difference in your short and long term outlook.

What vitamins did they put you on?

All my best to you.

Thank you both for the welcome!
David, my GI has me taking a multivitamin, 1200 calcium and 800
Vit-d for now until my labs come back and he puts me on a long term med. He ran a ton of bloodwork bc of my thalassemia and anemia so I guess it's just to see what will work for me.

Just a quick hello and welcome summer.

I've been diagnosed with Crohns since 1998. Looking back I think I had it years before then, but that was the official.

If I would recommend anything as you start this journey, I would say to really do your research about the disease, the treatments, diets, and other topics related to it. Find a good GI you trust, then guide and captain your own treatments with the Doc. Too many of us go into this blindly.

Even as a nurse having this diease for so long, this forum gave me a ton of new information during my latest flare that helped me make decisions.

Good luck, and I'm really glad you found the forum!

Welcome to the forum, Summerbaby! You have stopped at the right place. This forum is great for support during tough times of illness and wonderful for gaining information! Glad that you are in good hands!

God bless you!