• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New to this Forum - Ulcerative Colitis for 8 years

Hi guys,

I'm suffer from Ulcerative Colitis; have had it for 8 years. Symptoms were quite mild initially; I was first diagnosed when I was pregnant with my first baby.

Have had 2 big flares, one hospital visit, no operations (touch wood)

Currently take:
4 x 1g Pentasa Granules in the morning
20mg Prednisone (tappering off it)
iron tablet daily

+ just been put on Imuran which I am not liking at all. :(

I'm stoked I have found this forum, I'm a busy mum of 4 (amazing my UC disappeared every time I was pregnant); praying one day they find a cure for Chrons and Colitis.

Looking forward to sharing some stories.
Gx

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Hi and welcome! Oh boy, 4 kids! I bet you are a busy mum!

I am glad your UC has been "quite mild". Being that you recently started Imuran, I assume it has been acting up lately? I sure hope the new treatment plan does the trick. But you are suffering from side effects? I hope nothing serious. You may want to check out the Imuran sub-forum under treatment to hear from others taking it.

ameslouise

HI G and Welcome!

Sorry the imuran isn't treating you so well right now. I hope you can get things under control with it, or find a new med (or cocktail mix!) that works for you. Those kids need their mom!

Hang in there. You'll find lots of good support and advice here!

-Amy

Thanks guys,

I seem to flare each year around Christmas time (our business is extremley busy around then and we work silly hours and over do it. I think it's stress that causes me to flare); which puts me on Prednisone for 3 months so my Gastro decided to phase me off Prednisone and start me on Imuran to try and avoid this from happening.

I'm having a very bad reaction to it. Flu like symptoms, aches, my legs have come up in welts, severe headaches... ohhhh it's been horrible :( .They told me to stop it instantly yesterday. Back to doc today to see what's next. Never had a reaction to a drug before so its all new to me.

Might pop over to the Imuran Club.

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
I am sorry to hear you aren't doing well on Imuran. How did you doctor's appointment go?

Yes, check out the Imuran Club - I am sure many forum members will be happy to answer your questions.

Hello and welcome

Golly, I hope you find time to put your feet up every now and then :)
I have recently started taking azathioprine too, just 4 weeks so far, and I hope things improve for you soon

hi jaggartini, hope your feeling better. I wanted to ask you how long were you having mild symptoms before they went worse. When you were first dx, did you start on any meds.

Hi Jaggartini,
I have two children, and also have not had any symptoms when I was pregnant or for at least a year after with each child. My flare-ups are also seasonal. I seem to get them after the holidays in Feb. or March. My GI doctor said that a few other patients have also had seasonal occurrences. I hope that you find a treatment plan that works for you.