• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New to This Site!

Hello Everyone, My name is Nick and I am new to this site. Actually new to the whole idea of a support group for this particular area of my life. I have been diagnosed with Crohn's since I was 13 years old. Around 21 it got very bad and surgery was the only option. I had a bowel resection and life has not been quite the same since. I am grateful and extremely blessed, though some days there is some pain, most times I go through the day pain free. I struggle as I am sure many do with the bathroom issue. It is particularly difficult giving my interests and hobbies such as hiking or live music. Both places where a restroom is usually not readily available. haha I have done my best to not let this disease stop me from doing the things I love. I have been feeling it a bit more after moving to Ohio and having to make a whole new group of friends. The stress of social situations, college classes starting up, and a big move have cause some extreme discomfort. I feel some depression and isolation beginning to set in which I do not want any part of, so I decided to give this a try. Just looking for some support from people who truly understand life with Crohn's.
Thanks everyone, look forward to getting to know you all!
Nick

nogutsnoglory

Welcome. We all understand how debilitating and depressing this illness can be. Have you checked out your local CCFA chapter to join a support group?

David

Co-Founder
Hi Nick and welcome to the community. I'm sorry to hear of your struggles post resection. Some questions:

1. Have they determined that you are in remission? If no, what medication are you on?

2. Do they monitor your vitamin B12 and magnesium level? People with Crohn's are commonly deficient in them and people with ileal resection are even more commonly deficient. These can lead to a whole host of symptoms including depression.

3. Is the chronic diarrhea you have from the resection or due to active disease?

All my best to you.