• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New to this subject

I have crohns that gave me many fistulas hooked to my bladder, hip, and large intestine. This took over 25 years to come to a head and then I had a resection becasue I was so constricted I could not go unless I had Amatiza. Anyway, I dont have the typical flares and symptoms I just grow a mass of fistuals all over on the inside. My doc even called it agressive. I am hopeful that It will take another 25 years before I have issues again but I would like not to have to go thru another surgery but I am doubtful that pentasa alone is going to prevent this. I am looking at presenting my doc with the LDN information and see what he thinks. Do you think that this stuff would be helpful to my type of crohns? It looks so promising.

not sure let me tag kev he has the most experience with it. I can't remember if he had surgeries or not, I know he was in pretty bad shape when he started on the ldn

Kev

Couple of things... yes, I've had surgeries. And, I had a fistula (it helped confirm the right diagnosis had been made). My fistula healed without issue, and I believe it was thanks to LDN. The reason I say that is... well, my VERY simple understanading is that the disease literally forms a 'tunneling' colony... (oh, that makes it sound sinister, so lets 'view' it as ... water eating out the grand canyon... find weakness, exploit it, and continue the process... expand, seep lower, push the banks back, see the principle?). But, if you find a way to stop this 'bug' in its tracks, its numbers go down, its activity declines... fistulas should stop growing and then start healing. That is my hypothesis... but I'm no expert, and I only had one fistula (at least on the outside... if you look at the photos I posted of my internal scarring, I "think" that the scars that criss cross my GI tract are actually internal fistulas that started on one side and grew across to the other. Up until I saw those pix, I had envisioned a plain, 2 dimensional 'view' of scar tissue in my head... sort of like an inverse sunburn. But once I saw my actual 'scars', I gained a totally different perspective. It sure explains the pain I continue to feel despite the fact that LDN has stopped my disease.