• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New to this

Hello! I'm new to the forum and to the world of IBD and I guess here is the place to introduce myself.
I'm an 18 year old college student, and I've never had great digestive health. My paternal grandmother and my uncle both have Crohn's and I've followed the specific growth pattern of that side of the family to the letter, so I've always wondered if I might find that I had a similar problem.
This summer I was vacationing with my family when I started to have diarrhea and occasional vomiting. We thought it was just a stomach bug but it got worse over the next 24 hours and I started seeing blood in the stool. I went to a clinic there and they gave me anti-vomiting medication, told me to stay hydrated and go home to be checked out by my primary care physician (still a pediatrician).
By the time I got to see my pediatrician and she ordered blood tests , about a week had gone by, with no sign of diarrhea slowing. My tests came in with critically low potassium, and the nurse called to tell my parents to take me to the ER. The hospital admitted me that night and I was there for five days (the first hospital stay of my life!) and I had a colonoscopy on the second day which showed that I have ulcerative colitis through my entire colon.
To make a long story full of needles and clear liquids short, I was back at home, on a low-residue diet and doing well when I suddenly took a turn for the worse. I ended up back at the hospital for blood and fecal testing and they determined that I had contracted C. Diff while I was at the hospital. Now, a week later, I'm finally coming off the antibiotics, starting probiotics, and still on anti-inflammatories and steroids. I'm starting to feel more like myself again, but because of all this I've had to take a medical leave of absence from school and skip the semester. Due to a long and lovely history of depression and an association of that depression with my hometown, this is less than ideal.
Now that I'm starting to get past the initial flare, I'm trying to figure out how this is going to affect me in the long term. In the short term, I'm just bored of eating bland food! Does anyone have ideas for perking up the fish/bread/cheese diet? I seem to be tolerating milk products well and although I used to be a vegetarian, I'm lightening up on that in an effort to get enough protein without high-fiber beans.

I believe there are several posters here who have learned to how to keep their vegetarian and vegan lifestyles while still eating safe foods with Crohn's. Paging VeganOstomy, and I forget the other person honestly. If you stick to your medication, consult with your gastroenterologist regularly, and have a little luck, you could go on to live a mostly normal life - you'd have to take things a little slower to make sure you don't come out of remission and always remember to keep up on your medication but it's no great burden for some. I myself take one injection of Cimzia a month for my Crohn's Disease and that's the end of that.

valleysangel92

Staff member
Hello there and welcome to the forum :)

I'm sorry you've been unwell but I'm glad you've found us, this forum is full of friendly people who understand what its like to live with IBD and who have lots of hints and tips which will hopefully make things a little easier to deal with.

As Orchid has already said, it can be possible to live a mostly normal life with IBD. There are of course things that you have to be careful with, not over doing things, making sure you keep hydrated, being careful with diet and alcohol etc can all make a difference. May I ask what your current treatment plan is? You mention steroids but what about a long term medication? If you don't already have one then it's important that you discuss a maintenance medication with your GI at the next opportunity, steroids are great to get you out of a flare, but they are not a viable long term option due to the side effects and risks that comes with long term use.

Diet wise, its very individual. You could try keeping a food diary, keeping note of what your eating and how you feel afterwards could help you identify any patterns between food and flares. Also, you could take a look at our diet and fitness section for more advice and maybe some inspiration to help make things a little less bland. As a general rule, low fibre is a good start, so things like rice, chicken, mashed or boiled potatoes (no skins) etc are ideal.