• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New with Questions

Hi everyone,
I have been having reoccurring blood in the toilet for about 2 years now and because its been on and off I was not as desperate to seek medical help. I had earlier seen a doc but was told it was just an anal fissure and to adjust diet/ stress. Just recently I had an inflammation behind my left eye that was extremely painful with eye movement. Going to the doctor and receiving a number of tests I was prescribed Predisolone and the inflammation went away. By coincidence I had scheduled a colonoscopy recently because the bleeding had been getting worse (more frequent). The doc told me afterwards that he had found some minor ulceration in the large intestine and he was very certain I had crohns. He told me he didn’t want me to do anything for now and just to go home as we scheduled an appointment for two weeks away. Of course knowing nothing about Crohns I went home and googled everything I could and am quite worried. I had some questions as a newbie that I was wondering if you guys could clear up.

Other than bright red blood in stool without pain, I have barely any other symptoms. No D, no vomiting, no weightloss. I probably go to the toilet once a day. If anything i feel a little sore in my knee joints and lower back but nothing to write home over. I also saw that arthiritis can be a side effect of Predisolone when weaning off it as im doing at the moment. I had seen that eye inflammation is a rare symptom of Crohsn as well so that had explained that.
I just wanted to know can I expect my symptoms to worsen in the near future as I am in the early stages of Crohns? Or can i expect the current symptoms to be the ones I will experience for most of my life? I have gathered that crohns symptoms are different for everyone but Im so worried that I am only experiencing the calm before the storm and eventually need surgery.
At this point in time i don’t feel sick and i can deal with the blood in toilet. I was also wondering if i started a medication at this early stage would it prevent my symptoms getting worse? Or because the inflammation in my intestine seems mild i wouldn’t have to go on medication?
I understand i should be asking these questions to a doctor but i have what feels like a lifetime to wait for my appointment and feel a bit left in the dark. If anyone has a similar experience to mine I would much appreciate some advice.
Thanks guys
:thumleft:

sorry guys forgot to mention im 21 years old, recently stopped smoking and eat relatively healthy food. This all came on because of the stress I was having in my final year of study.

cheers

afidz

Super Moderator
Hello, and welcome to the forum!
As you already stated, Crohn's is different for everyone in every aspect of it. Although you don't have many symptoms, it can be doing a lot of damage to your guts. For this reason its best to stay on meds, even if you feel great, instead of waiting until it gets bad and trying to reverse damage done.
Inflammation and pain in your eye is not a rare symptom, a lot of people have a problem with it (myself included) My opthamoligist explained to me that the cells in our eyes are very similar to those in our digestive tracts, and since our immune system is working to kill the cells in our digestive tracts, it confuses the cells in the eyes and attacks those as well. Check out the extra intestinal manifestations forum here to see similar stories or get insight from other members with the same problem http://www.crohnsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=81
Crohn's is a complicated disease, there is no telling if your symptoms will get worse or if your disease will progress or how it will progress. All you can do is manage the things that are in your control. (diet, medication, seeing a doctor regulary, things like that)
Write down all of the questions and concerns you have for your doctor, some people find its easier to physically hand there doctor a list of things to go over than it is to bring up these points on your own. Some people also find it easier to bring someone you trust with you so they can ask things you may be forgetting or if you forget something a doctor said, they may be able to remember it. but don't be afraid to ask questions, there are no dumb questions when it comes to your health, keep that in mind
Good luck with your appointment, look around the site, feel free to ask questions around here as well, there are a ton of people on here that are loaded with good advice