• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New

Hi my name is Amanda I am 18 years old. My twin sister was just diagnosed with crohn's and after being on 6MP and Prednizone for several months they're realizing that it's not working and putting her on Humira. We both are going to a really good doctor in Boston who is leaving soon so not sure where to go from there. I'm moving to SC so hoping i can find a good doctor.

Her symptoms were very severe stomach cramps (she would be in tears) and i just have had chronic diahreah vor about 9months now. I get severe cramps and as it runs in my family thought i had endometriosis which can affect the intestines as well. I recently got an MRE which was a horrible process for me and my sister (throwing up and diahhreah from the stuff you have to drink). They say i have 20-30cm of damage in my small intestine and my inflammation level is at 25 (my sister's was 10cm of damage and a 12 for inflammation). Her symptoms seem more severe like i could easily ignore mine but i know that's not a good idea. I have diahreah anywhere from 0-6 times a day.

They want to do a colonoscopy on me and then load me on meds but i would like to first try any alternative methods depending on how severe it is. I' m considering acupuncture as that worked for my cramps and every other issue i've ever had. I'm really against medications as with the side effects (my sister has become a completely different person) and would much rather try natura remedies. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know ASAP

kiny

My suggestion would be to listen to your doctor and consider that the longer you leave your disease untreated the bigger the damage will be. If you have that much damage in your intestine. Acupuncture is going to do didly squat. I don't understand why people sometimes wonder about side effects of medication but don't consider the side effects of leaving a disease untreated. Look up a few pictures of crohn's disease and tell me how acupuncture is going to cure that. You have to be reasonable in your expectations.

Amanda
Ive tried acupuncture and acupressure. I believe they can really help some people. You have to find the right Dr.

Good luck!

:welcome: Welcome to the forum!

Blood tests/CT's/MRE's don't always represent disease activity. Some people can have severe Crohn's and their tests could show no inflammation at all while others who have mild Crohn's can have sky high inflammation rates. You'll never know the severity until the Gastroenterologist goes in there with a scope & gets biopsies.

It is great to try alternative therapies in combination with medicinal medicine. Everyone, I do mean EVERYONE I have met who have tried to treat their disease 'naturally' ended up in the hospital, having emergency surgery, and bits of their intestines removed because they thought they were 'God' and knew more than doctors. Sure, their are many GI's who have no idea what they are doing(and I'm sure their school records reflected that)but if a Gastroenterologist went to school for that long & has the credentials to prove they know what they are doing, then would you, who have no medical experiance, try to treat your disease(if you have it)? I'm not meaning to be rude in any way but what is the point of seeing a doctor if you aren't even going to try the medication offered to you? There are many milder medications used to treat Crohn's.

kiny

What Faith said. The prep will be the least of your worries if you leave your disease untreated, you don't want to know what some people went through. I think acupuncture is totally fine next to following doctor's advice, just as a diet is. But like she said, all the people who have tried to cure themselves eventually all end up in ER (most of the "how to cure crohn naturally" sites just want your money, they won't be there when you are in ER) and many of those people get told that the solution is surgery, and those people still have to take medication, as surgery does not cure crohn, it often makes it worse. Think about both sides of the coin.

Amanda,

Yes acupuncture might help as an aid to the mainstream medications. Do you know what happens to the inflamed area In your colon or intestine over and over with multiple flares or inflammations? Did you know with every flare up in the same trouble spots causes ulcers and what we call scriptures (narrowing of your colon or intestine.) That's what causes blockages over time, and this requiring surgery. Trust me that you'll want to talk to a good Gastro Doctor before making that choice final. I screwed myself in a similar way now I have 3 scriptures in my lower end and 1 in my transversal.

David

Co-Founder
Hi Amanda and welcome to the community :)

I'm personally a fan of the shotgun approach to managing Crohn's Disease. By that I mean:

- Western Medicine - whatever meds your doctor suggests.
- Alternative medicine - stuff like acupuncture as well as medical marijuana if available, low dose naltrexone, etc
- Dietary changes - Enteral/elemental nutrition, paleo diet, or specific carbohydrate diet
- Lifestyle changes - stress reduction
- Exercise - yoga is a good one :)
- Vitamins and minerals - find out which you're deficient in and properly supplement
- Supplements - there are a variety that help improve overall health

Hit it from all angles. Crohn's Disease is very serious. The more you can do to control it, the better off you're going to be in the short and long term.

We're happy to help in any way we can.

Hi Amanda-

It is worth saying that all of the cautionary responses here about alternative approaches are, I believe, coming from a place of care and concern. I hope you are in remission very soon :)

So the past few days I have cut dairy mostly out of my diet and have had no symptoms whatsoever...not sure what that means since if it was a trigger wouldnt i still get SOME symptoms?