• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Newbie, here's my story

Here's a little about my situation. My best friend of 25 years has had Crohns now for at least 2 years. I've been through some changes in my life the last six months and her and I have been spending a lot of time together. We are blossoming into something amazing! I have told her that no matter what happens with this disease it will never change how I feel! She's still fearful that it will, and she's asked me to this forum so I could see the worst that could happen with this disease. Yup there's some scary things about Crohns but, there hasn't been a thing I've seen or read or heard that will ever change my feelings for her! Ok sorry I'm finally coming to my question, what are some of the worst case Scenarios of Crohns? I'm so in love with this girl I couldnt imagine after 25 years getting to be were I've always wanted to be and anything changing the way I feel for here. I'm in this to the end! So the challenge is out, scare me! It will never happen, if anything it will help me with future questions, and give me more knowledge, and that is key. Thank you all for reading my rant, hope I didn't put you to sleep!

valleysangel92

Staff member
Hello, welcome to the forum. I'm glad to see you are helping your friend and taking such an interest in her condition. Worst case senarios are different for everyone. For some it would be getting a stoma, for others it would be having to start a scary medication with lots of potential side effects. Its best not to dwell on these too much as a lot of people live with crohns and never need them. Keep looking around the forum and reading other people's stories so you can get an idea of what this condition is like on a personal level.

Feel free to ask as much as you like, and maybe show this forum to your friend, she might find it helpful too :).

We have a section for family and friends which you might find useful - http://www.crohnsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=90

nogutsnoglory

There are some very scary and socially unacceptable parts of this disease. With proper treatment one can live a very good life and many do go into remission for months or years at a time.

The more troubling parts are obstructions requiring emergency surgery, multiple surgeries, malnutrition, severe weight loss, and fatigue. Some operations require an ostomy bag which may be temporary or permanent.

There are some other rare situations like toxic mega colon and extra intestinal manifestations that affect the skin, eyes and other parts of the body.

It is very rare for someone to die of IBD or IBD related complications but it can happen.

You asked us to scare you! Mostly know that being on top of her health and proper treatment she can hopefully lead a good life.

Awesome to hear that you are in it till the end! I don't know what I would do without my girlfriend, she literally takes care of me like a nurse on a regular basis. And she has seen/heard me go through colonoscopy prep lol. After someone has seen you pee out of your ass, you know they are in it for the long haul haha. One thing to remember is just to stay as positive as possible because she probably wont always be able to. I know I get very crabby sometimes when I'm not feeling well, or my doctors are giving me the run around, or I have a bad day at work running to the bathroom 20 times during a busy day makes that day soooooooo much longer. Also, get used to bathroom humor, if you have Crohn's or a loved one with crohn's and you cant laugh at a fart, then you are in big trouble. Good luck!